LED / CFL questions

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by seedgrower, Dec 10, 2009.

1. #1 seedgrower, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
    Hi there,

as theres nearly no one in German Forums having some experience with LED Grows id thought i step over here for my questions ;)

Im currently on my first homegrow with a Homebox XS (60x60x120cm, 2x2x4 feet) with "The Ultimate" Seeds. Im also planning on selecting one to a Bonsai Mother that will grow over the Box with ESL lighting.

Currently they grow inside the Box with a 200W CFL i have startet with. Not really good so after reading alot about LED Lights i decided to give it a try.
    So i have ordered a 90W UFO LED with these specifications:
    80 red LEDs 660nm+630nm (dont know the Ratio between them)
    10 blue LEDs 460nm
    3200lm
    Photon Flux Density: 14
    LEDs are 120

After reading a lot of growing Reports and testings with LED grows i also decided to add CFL Lamps (2700K) to the grow as they get much better resulsts, but some questions are open to me:

1. How much Watt in total should i add on CFLs to the 90W LEDs? I thought about 3x20W so i have a total of 150W. Or should i add more?

2. I found some hints that UV Lights may increase the potence? Anything behind that myth? If so how much of that lamps should i add and should they be UVA or UVB?

3. As i think the current 200W ESL will be too much for one mother and some cuttings to grow, how much 6000K ESLs each 20W would you recommend for that?

2. the more CFL's you can add without adding too much heat the better.

I'd say your 90W UFO LED will be fine during vegetative stage but LED's seem to fail for flowering, so I'd just purchase probably about 50-100W in CFL lighting minimum to supplement during flowering, the more the better though. Also make sure your flowering CFL's are 2700k

I personally think UV lights are a waste of money, you'd be better off adding a small CFL than a UV light

3. Thanks so far ;)
    the LEDs in vegetative Stage i cant use as im having the box only for flowering stage, while vegetative will be done only with ESL outside the box to maintain a constant 2 weekly harvest

4. Btw just found that document on my UV Research from the University of Maryland 1986:
    Energy Citations Database (ECD) - - Document #6696642

So id say it does work... only question is how much UVB to use and how long per day :confused:

5. #5 CaliTree, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
    uv-b for sure! plants can't really see uv-a. i've heard of people using uv-b to increase potency and overall budsize.

The people that say they've tried it, say it works.

I'm gonna go to the pet store and get some reptile lights when it comes time to flower.

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/509146-uv-b-lighting-when-how-long.html

This is a thread i started about uv-b lighting. if you have any good info to add, post it up and we'll all talk about it.

6. #6 seedgrower, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009
    Got now all my equipment together ;)
    Ifs anyone interested in it consists now of:
    5x20W 2700K CFL + 90W LED UFO for the flowering box
    3x23W 6000K CFL for the Mother and growing

UVB i will add in the 2nd grow, its a very expensive Lamp (30€ the cheapest i found) and i want to have some weed to compare from first grow how the UVB affects it

7. i still rkn you'd be better off spending the same amount of money on a UV-B lamp and investing in CFL's to boost the plant rather than try and trick it into producing extra resin. The extra yield would be more beneficial IMO. I'm sure UV-B can help but if its cost effective to make it worthwhile? I'm still not convinced.

8. I will get the UVB for 2nd grow, just want to have some results without to be able to compare it and see if it has a measureable effect