Led Bleaching

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by xBreezyx, Dec 19, 2016.

1. I am getting a little bit of light bleaching on my sugar leaves and some bud sights. Does anyone know if that effects potency?

2. It will always effect how your plant turns out if you run your light too close. Why not back the light off an inch or tie the branch down a little?

3. I already fixed situation. I've been tying down branches since the first 4 leafs popped out. It is very little bleaching and very few buds effected. I raised light up last night. Was just curious how much of an effect it will take on my white widow buds that where bleached. Not really tripping the rest of the plant is thriving. Was just curious.

4. I have been using LEDS for a while and have never seen or ran into this until last night.

5. It's still smokable but it may taste a little weird and it may have gotten bigger if you didn't burn it. I looked into this a long time ago and found some really interesting pictures of white buds that looked so stony.

Funny thing was I had this friend years ago who was a total BSer. He had this line about some bud he had supposedly got that was totally white. He called it "ghost bud" and said it was the best stuff in the world.

Years later I'm looking into buying LED and researching this light bleaching. I find pictures like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cannabis Light Burn & Light Stress Symptoms | Grow Weed Easy

I thought I may have to watch out for this myself. What I've found is if I get my light too close the plants start showing heat stress on the leaf tips. That's when I move the light up. I haven't had any bleaching with platinum lights. I actually think it only shows up with some brands of LED light.

What light are you running?

6. Breezy, do you mind posting a picture so I can see what your Sweet leaves are looking like please?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. You said you run platinum? I run two p150s and was curious to how close you let your light get to your plants? I have only gotten as close as 16", I was afraid to get any closer

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I'm using a mars 300 as over head, and x2 Tao Tronics as lower supplemental lighting. Mine aren't horribly bleached because I caught it quick. But it literally happened over night, It was showing signs of heat stress so I backed my lights off.

9. I run mine about 12 inches away from plants. It's been a work in progress, but I'm slowly upgrading. I was running cfls and Tao Tronics right on top of my girls. This is my first big grow with my mars so still trying to figure it out.

10. #10 Tbone Shuffle, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Platinums seem to be some of the more intense of the 3-5watt led lights. They're very downward directional possibly due to the particular lenses. I think they're 90 degree lenses which is less spread than some. They require more light distance than most. 24" is recommended. I've seen other growers recommend 30". The smitty guy that hangs in the lighting section has run p series and the p9xml2. He said put your platinums at 30" and your plants will thank you. The closest I've been able to run some strains is about 18" and others have tolerated 16-14" but no closer than that. They will actually singe the pistils right off the tallest tops. Thats when I know the light has to go up.

I think this is more true for their larger wattage lights. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the p150 a little closer since it's such a low watt light. Really only handy for microgrows or vegging one plant.

11. They don't look very happy. Set the light at 24" and hope they pick up and stretch towards it a little. After a couple of days move it down to 18" and leave it there. You can get it as close as 16" but I wouldn't go closer.

Do you have a fan blowing on those? Is your room temp at the plant canopy under the light 80 degrees or under?

12. Sorry, just got back on. But there are a couple leaves on the back that look like that. The spots where white, they are browning up now. The bud looks like it had leaves whitening, pistils singed, etc.

13. Yes, I have intake and exhaust fan. I was running my lights too close. I been doing circle lst first time attempt at that as well. Canopy temp went from mid 80 ' s to lower 70 ' s as soon as I raised lights. Hoping for the best!

14. I tried to do circle LST but the plant just started bushing out and I never got there. The best I got was it leaned over and turned to the left halfway around the pot then all the other tops got in the way and I couldn't wrap it any further.

15. I'm having trouble too.. Mine has bushed out, but it's getting harder to get the main to go around. Kicking myself in the ass really, should have used a predominant sativia strain to experiment with