Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lecithin - Yes, It Works!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by EastBayRay, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Many thanks to @BrassNwood and others on the forum for cluing me in to using lecithin for my cannabis oil. It works!!!!! :thankyou:

I've been a regular cannabis user for 37 years and have always had trouble with edibles. They simply did not work for me no matter how strong they were. This held true for my home made edibles as well as edibles made by friends, and every edible I've ever purchased at a medical dispensary. I gave up years ago thinking I was just one of those people who could not process THC through the gut.

After reading some of the "edibles" threads I started to see that some recipes called for lecithin. With a little bit of additional research I began to understand how lecithin functions to increase the bioavailability of THC when combined with decarboxylated cannabis and oil. So I decided to give it a shot.

To my latest batch of oil I combined 3g of decarboxylated flower with 1.5 oz. of coconut oil and 3/4 tsp of powdered sunflower lecithin. I ran that mix through a full cycle in the Nova/Lift and it worked. I took 1/2 tsp of the unstrained oil and about 1 hr. later I felt it! Yahoo!!! The addition of lecithin proved to be a total game changer. Now I just need to work on refining the recipe and the dosing.

Since this was such a life-changing event for me I figured I would start a lecithin thread so that others can easily locate this info. :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. #2 EastBayRay, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Soy Lecithin - Harmful or Harmless?
    "I recommend avoiding soy as a general rule, but consuming small amounts of soy lecithin as an additive is very different from, say, eating a soy burger topped with soy cheese or drizzling soybean oil on your salad. This article will probably be more than you ever wanted to know about soy lecithin, but I wanted to do my best to get all the facts out on the table."
    https://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-soy-lecithin/

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. You did 3 things to make the edibles better:
    1. Accurate decarb in Ardent Nova/Lift
    2. Lecithin
    3. Infusion in Nova/Lift

I've been experimenting with the infusion time/temp, and tentatively believe that the Ardent infusion is in the same ballpark as the best ones.

The BrassNwood infusion temperature of 220 F is excellent, and for me, slightly better than the Ardent infusion is 220 F for 60 min, after pre-heating for reproducability.

According to a phone call, the Ardent devices never go above 218 F, which is close to 220 F, but without preheating, quantity of material will drastically affect actual internal temps.

Assuming good 15% thc herb, the total thc was 450 mg, and the total volume was about 50 mL, so
    Potency = (450 mg thc)/(50 mL) = 9 mg thc/mL

Your 1/2 tsp dose was about (9 mg/mL)*(1.5 mL) = 13.5 mg, which is a pretty low dose, implying good oil.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lecithin In Cannabis Edibles: Why You Need It
    "The emulsifier can act to increase the potency of cannabis edibles in numerous ways, helping users to make the most of the weed they are using. Your body may have an easier time digesting the bound ingredients and will be able to access and digest THC and other cannabinoids more easily. As well as this, lecithin is known to be a surfactant, a compound that lowers surface tension. This fact means that lecithin helps to distribute THC and cannabinoids more efficiently."
    Lecithin In Cannabis Edibles: Why You Need It - RQS Blog

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. I use liquid u can get at vitamin stores! Been using it in my magical butter machine

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. Soy vs Sunflower Lecithin

I came across this article today in which the author makes a claim about soy vs sunflower lecithin that I've not come across.
    "The Art of Cannabis Emulsions"...How to Make Liquid Marijuana Edibles the RIGHT WAY! — Steemit

"Make sure that you are using sunflower lecithin and not soy lecithin, there is a huge difference between the 2 and you will not achieve the same results if using the wrong one. Let me explain further, soy lecithin is used to bind water into oil which is not what we are after and the end result will yield an oily liquid which is harsh to drink as you will taste the oils in the liquid. On the other hand sunflower lecithin is used to bind oil into water which will break down the oil molecules down to a microscopic level and have almost no visual residue or taste of the oils left behind. Lecithin is a natural product used by a lot of vegans and is sold at almost all natural food stores so it is 100% safe for consumption."

Can anyone confirm or deny this author's claim about soy vs sunflower lecithin? This guy is infusing juice drinks, so perhaps this specific application requires sunflower lecithin. However, if I'm just making oil for direct consumption or for use in baked goods maybe it makes little to no difference. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

7. Have converted to lecithin use too, sunflower only and non-GMO.

8. Empirical tested all forms of Lecithin when I was first starting on making the strongest meds possible for my medical issue and I suggest you do the same.
    Personally I'm getting the best results from.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It all works. Sunflower or soy, Liquid, granules or powder.
    <-- the 3 caps I took an hour ago are coming on strong and your all getting very distant and out of focus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are we having FUN yet ?? WOOHOOOOOOOOO !!!!

[​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. Really works good when it's frappe in the magical butter for 2 hours stop. I go to vitamin stores in by the liquid

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dietary fats and pharmaceutical lipid excipients increase systemic exposure to orally administered cannabis and cannabis-based medicines

"[O]ral co-administration of lipids enhanced the systemic exposure of rats to THC and CBD by 2.5-fold and 3-fold, respectively, compared to lipid-free formulations."

"[C]o-administration of dietary lipids or pharmaceutical lipid excipients may substantially increase the systemic exposure to orally administered cannabis or cannabis-based medicines. Our data suggest that the primary mechanism of the increased absorption of cannabinoids in the presence of lipids is intestinal lymphatic transport. The amount of lipids present in cannabis-containing foods, or following a high-fat meal, is sufficient to activate intestinal lymphatic transport and lead to increased systemic exposure to cannabinoids. The increase in systemic exposure to cannabinoids in humans is of potentially high clinical importance as it could turn a barely effective dose of orally administered cannabis into a highly effective one, or indeed a therapeutic dose into a toxic one. Therefore, it is important for cannabis-prescribing clinicians and those who self-medicate with cannabis to carefully consider the effect of the co-administration of lipids on the therapeutic outcomes of orally administered cannabis or cannabis-based medicines.

Dietary fats and pharmaceutical lipid excipients increase systemic exposure to orally administered cannabis and cannabis-based medicines

^This article is a really good read and is the first scientific study I've found that specifically addresses the impact of lipids on the bio-availability of THC and CBD.

11. Quick question I've been curious about . If I add 2 tablespoons of lecithin to 1 cup of oil isn't that going to mess with my baked goods and other recipes with so much lecithin?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Adding lecithin in the amount of 1/8 of the oil won't decrease quality.
    Most commercial baked goods contain lecithin.

13. Thanks allot man

14. This is partly why I recommend making small very highly potent batches of near sludge thickness first as it incorporates the lecithin much better IME. Then blend the finished tablespoon of canna oil with the oil called for in your baked good.

BNW

15. @420nChill: @bkarnaze is correct, lecithin is very common in commercial baking. As an emulsifier it allows ingredients to mix and bind evenly within the batter, which improves texture. Lecithin also acts as a mild preservative.

2 tablespoons of lecithin per 1 cup of oil doesn't sound like an excessive amount. As a ratio of lecithin to oil I use much more when making my canna-oil (roughly 1 tsp lecithin per 1 oz. of coconut oil).

16. And you'd say you don't need to add any extra lecithin then when adding to half a cup of more of oil? And works just as good?

17. Very interesting. Thankyou man much appreciated

18. Not trying to be a dick but your off a bit, 1/2 tsp is 2.5ml so the dose was 22.5mg

19. It's the new "stoner" math.
    LMAO. I couldn't resist.
    :)

BNW

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. As long as he hasn't been feeding his plants with that math it's all good