leaving water out to evaporate chlorine?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by awkwardstoner, Sep 14, 2010.

1. so I have heard this countless times on mj grower forums. leave tap water out for 24 hrs before using so chlorine evaporates.

what's the science behind it? how does chlorine get pulled out of the water and into the air? and then where does it go? does the water have to be left outside for this to occur?

I ask this because I had about 4-5 gallons sitting in my closet to "evaporate the chlorine" I measured the ppm straight from the tap @ 150ppm.

I even put in 2 air stones powered by a POWERFUL air pump (45 Liters/min) in there as rumors had it, it would help.

24 hrs later...the ppm is still sitting @ 150.

so leaving water out to evaporate chlorine? myth? is it just another random myth like flushing that has gained such acceptance due to word of mouth?

btw, I checked out my city's water report:
    I bolded the amounts that relate to my tap water within the city. It is listed in mg/L

DWTP UWTP DWTP UWTP SDWA Tap
    CONSTITUENT (mg/L) Raw Raw Tap Tap MCL/[SMCL]
    Total Ammonia (as N) 0.03 0.03 0.52 0.54
    Free Ammonia (as N) --- --- 0.08 0.11
    Calcium 49 49 12 14
    Chlorine Residual --- --- 2.62 2.48
    Fluoride 0.21 0.20 0.72 0.85 4/[2]
    Magnesium 18 18 16 14
    Sulfate 27.5 27.5 34.2 35.4 [250]
    Total Phosphate <0.04 <0.04 0.66 0.78
    Total Hardness (as CaCO3) 198 199 97 94
    pH (units) 8.3 8.3 9.8 9.6 [>7.0 ]

2. chlorine just evaporates out of water very fast. the chlorine levels will fluctuate on occasion too, but they usually aren't high enough to affect anything...i think.

also, your water's ph will change a little bit from the cold tap water to room temp. so you'll be able to more accurately set your ph with room temp water.

...and stuff...

3. Letting water sit will evaporate chloromite and chlorine. The same thing can be accomplished in about 4 hours with a aquarium air pump and a stone....

If your tap water is over 200 ppm Magnesium will be locked out due to the calcium in the water. Magnesium can get locked out by too much Calcium (Ca), Chlorine (Cl) or Ammonium Nitrogen (NH4+)

4. As far as I'm aware you can get rid of chlorine by letting it sit in an open topped vessel for 24 hours or reduce the time to a minimum of 20 mins (though an hour is normally recommended) by aerating it with a pump and bubblers. Problem is a lot of municipalities/councils or whatever add chloramine to drinking water supplies. Chloramine stays in the system a lot longer than chlorine hence why it is added alongside chlorine and in many cases preferred to chlorine altogether.

According to wikipedia:

Hope that helps! :D

5. distilled water is a better alternative besides rain water or reverse osmosis. Too many solids left on tap water after the chlorine has evaporated.