leaving iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by deadtrend6, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Getting ready for Iran.

2. About 15,000 "combat troops" are being taken out, while the 50,000 that remain will be reclassified as a "transition force".

Classic doublespeak.

3. They will never win, in Iraq or Afghanistan.
    In the history of man Afghanistan has never been conquered. And it has been invaded the most times.
    Your fighting the people. They will win.
    And to say its because of 9/11 is bullshit, because all the "terroists" were from saudie arabia, well nearlly all.
    But George Bushs father has close relations to Bin Ladens family. Its all about money.

4. Yep, same thing in Afghanistan

American Foreign Policy is really the LEAST political aspect of our entire government.

The difference between McCain and Obama on foreign policy would have been minimal. Maybe McCain wouldn't be talking about "withdrawals" (they're lies anyways), maybe he wouldn't have put any dates on it.

Obama might withdraw a SMALL PERCENTAGE of our occupying troops, but there are large bases there, and there will be tens of thousands of soldiers there.

It's not a Democrat/Republican issue, it's an American Imperialist issue, based off our objective history.

5. I don't buy this either.

Individuals definitely make billions off of these wars (Bush and Cheney we know, but of course there's more) . . . but there's always a bigger, grander geopolitical goal.

Fortify the Middle East so all the oil is ours uncontested? Who knows right now.

6. I just got back from Iraq last year. We really have 'won' in that country. We killed all of the AQI (migrant fighters) and we payed the Sons of Iraq (SOI) to stop blowing us up. We installed a 'government' and they are doing there thing. But most importantly we built and sustained local economies. Every company would be given money to distribute for different community projects: road cleaning, ditch digging ext. It's that support for the local economy that really did it. If you do your best to make sure everyone has a job that pays they will be much less likely to try and dig in an IED for some cash.

AFPAK is a totally different story with different politics and more importantly a already warlike and shifting people with little economy and virtually no infrastructure. It is a nightmare for COIN. If one of the tenets (as I understand it) is to basically buy off the host population with the wealth of America. It's hard to do that when there is no economy to direct the flow on money. No to mention that I call it Af-Pac becuse Pakistan is so embroiled in this thing; PAK is the new our new Cambodia :(

If you guys want some more info on AFPAK I got a few sites to check out.

Afghanistan
    The Long War Journal

7. Well the UK isn't "in" Iraq anymore, but America leaving is a good idea in my mind. We need to focus on Afghanistan

8. We're going to be in Iraq for a long, long time.