Leaving Home...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr Swisher, Apr 17, 2009.

1. So here I am 18 years old, broke as fuck an unemployed. I'm in my senior year of high school and haven't missed one class in my final semester. Due to my crazy ass mom who tweaks on me for missing 1 assignment in school. I have all A's and 2 C's (they would be B's if I cared.) Haven't had 1 run in with the police in my life, other then traffic ticket and the occasional being stopped for being a teenager.

Yet, my parents treat me like I'm 8 years old because of an incident last year. I'm fed up with it and finally I'm saying fuck it. I'm giving up going to college next year and I'm about to move out and live with a friend and his family for a bit starting next week. I plan finishing up high school, getting a job and finding a friend to go into an apartment with.

Any other advice any of you can give me about starting out living your own life?

2. #2 Jayman90, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
    Hah that's cool man, +rep for workin hard hehe

At the moment I switch from living with my parents to living at university, most of the time at uni. I'd say the most important things are getting used to taking care of yourself properly. It's important to get into a habit of getting enough of what you need when you go shopping, learning how to budget, and cleaning up after yourself. Learn some easy recipies for meals instead of living off instant meals and snacks when you got the munchies ;). Try not to buy/keep things you don't need if money and space are concerns.

Oh and keep in touch with ya parents, mine assume I'm dead if they haven't heard from me in 3 days :rolleyes:
    Peace and good luck

EDIT: Actually, think carefully before you give up on education, I know it ain't for everyone but think about what you wanna do in a few years.

3. Don't give up your education. You're not even out of high school yet, we all know how it feels to be that frustrated teen who feels like their parents won't cut them any slack, but just wait it out and do everything you can.

Then after you graduate high school go to a college with dorms and move in there, you'll meet some friends, be getting your eduction and may ever find someone to shack up with over the summer.

Giving up school, especially in this economy would be a huge mistake.

4. I'm in a very similar situation to you man and the only recommendation I can give you is tough it out but stay at home...

I nearly moved out about 6 months ago cause I thought I just couldn't take anymore parental bullshit but boy am I glad I stayed home. My brother moved out about 2 years ago and as of today he has made a complete mess of his life, kicked out of school over $30,000 in debt and no job... All because he refused to work the parental system the right way. I stayed and I'm doing pretty damn good myself.

Stay home dude your education is a big fucking deal and it's fully not something you should be considering giving up on

Best of luck to you whatever you decide man

5. Since you are in Michigan I would advise not to do this...just go off to college and you only have to go home for the major breaks like Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break and Spring Break (if you live on campus in a dorm..if apartment you can just live there). Take student loans, you will pay them back later (it has been PROVEN that getting a BA and then working and paying off loans earns you more than having no college loans and working only with a high school degree). Or just work but take community college classes at night, they are like $60 per credit hour in my area....GOod luck man.