Leaving CFL's on a timer when not home

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by imgoingleft, Sep 23, 2009.

1. So after reading this forum for quite sometime, I decided to just try to germinate a seed that I had (supposedly blueberry but who knows) and try it out. I always seem to learn best from experience so I feel like one plant from a seed I did not pay for would be just that. Everything is very simple, just a soil grow with CFL lighting. But, there was one problem I did not think of when I initially planted the seed...every other weekend I leave for 3 days. I can skip a weekend here and there if it is necessary to tend to the plant.

The question is, how safe it is to put my light on a timer and leave for a few days at a time? I do have a roommate that would be more than willing to keep an eye on it for me, but i'd rather not involve anyone else. Not that I don't trust him, it's just I know 100% im not telling anyone, and who knows when you involve other people.

Should I scrap the idea and just let the plant go (its about a week old), should I tell my roommate to keep an eye when im out of town, or can I feel safe enough to leave it on a timer for 3 days at a time?

Thanks for any help!

2. I have 4 40w cfl's on a pretty basic timer. As long as there is a decent fan blowing in the grow area, the heat the cfl's produce is almost non-existent. So as long as they have sufficient water, I can forget about the plants for a few days at a time with no worries.

3. Yeah, that's what I am thinking. And at this stage, I only have one CFL on the little guy for now. I mean I leave it almost all day anyways and check on her (crossing my fingers) whenever I am home and it doesn't even get hot with just the one for now.

4. Unless the plant grows into the CFL you're not going to have to worry about heat problems. When you have multiple CFL's, and you have them close to your plant, only thing you really need is a fan pushing air between the canopy, and the light.

And to answer your question about the timer, if you are vegging the plant you can leave the light on 24/7, as long as you ALWAYS leave it on 24/7 for vegging. Do not switch back and forth.

Otherwise, just get a timer, and let it have a set cycle. Timers are cheap, and effective, and will be mandatory once you decide to flower her.

5. Thanks for the tips DO WORK. Definitely makes me feel better about leaving it for a few days.

6. Just make sure she gets a good drink before you leave, and even then if you are gone for three days, she may yell at you for leaving her so thirsty when you get back home :p. But she should be fine, probably just a little droopy would be all.