Leaves with yellowing edges and burnt tips

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DPeter2101, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hi all, I need a little assistance. As it states I'm new atthis and (now don't laugh or bash please) I'm using an Aerogarden. My wifereceived two for Christmas so I decided to mess around with one of them. Theissue I'm having is that on one of my two plants the leaves are getting yellowedges and some burnt tips. Reading up onposting it says to supply as mush info as possible so, I do my best.

*WhatStrain is it? Not sure. The seeds were given to me.

*Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? I believe its Indica

*How Many Plants? Two

*Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Vegetative

*If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? About 36 days since the seeds sprouted

*Indoor or Outdoor? Indoors

*Soil or Hydro? Hydro
    *If Hydro, Reservoir size? I believe its one gallon.

*If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? 80F

*If Hydro, what type of Medium? RockWool but most of the roots are in the reservoir

*If Hydro, what type of Setup? Aerogarden

*Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 125w CFL

*Is it Air Cooled? No

*Temperature of Room/Cabinet? House is around 75F

*RH of Room/Cabinet? Not sure what RH is

*PH of Medium or Reservoir? I don't have a PH tester. I'll pick one uptomorrow.

*Any Pests? No

*How often are you watering?
    The Aerogarden is set to water 24X7. Its setupfor Tomatoesand Peppers

*Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?I'm using Dyna-Gro 7-9-5. (Started at ½tsp per gallon went to ¼ tsp per gallon.

*Size or Square Footage of Room? From is 12x12.

So, let megive a little history on my experience so far. As I said this started with me justmessing around. Not much concern if I was doing right or not. I germinated theseeds between wet paper towels and once I saw a small root I put them in theAerogarden cups filled with Rockwool. My nutrition's were mixed at ½ tsp pergallon. I think that was too much because as soon as the leaves started theyburned. I thought I'd lost them before I even got started. Funny thing though,the two plants can back but with two main shoots on each plant. I guess thatworked out.

The secondbatch of nutrition I made up was from Aerogarden. The direction said to mix twoof the little pack to one gallon of water. I just ran out of that and made abatch using the Dyna-Gro again. This time I mixed it at ¼ tsp to a gallon oftap water.

By theway, until Friday these two plants were grown using the lighting system thatcame with the Aerogarden Ultra. Three lights. I just went and bought aFluoroWing Light System 125W CFL. I was worried about enough light and thelimitations on height.

I had someburnt tips before the light change but I've seen a big change since I changedthem. However, it's only on one of the two. I'll try to upload some photos.

I wouldappreciate any guidance you may be able to provide. Started out just playingaround but now I want this two to do well

I forgot to mention one item. As I read more and more I seethat most people flush their reservoir. I have never done this. Did not know Ishould and now that I do, I'm not sure precisely what to do. As the Aerogardenreservoir houses the root system do I just poor out the contents and rinse?After that do I just refill it with my regular mixture of Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 at 1/4tsp per gallon? Thanks again.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. You have done very well indeed, plants seem ok, burnt tips, but you have cured that, on most occasions burnt tips are due to a too dry atmosphere, that you may get from a heated house in winter, or just to low RH(relative humidity)

The plants are roughly a month old, and any stress may show about now, including a slight shortage of nitrogen, you may increase the N a very small amount, or you may foilar feed (spray bottle 'em) a N solution to each individual plant. ...that I prefer
    as you cannot over feed them ...lol
    One gallon res. I find as to small, consider moving up in size, as you have to ask your self how much (yield) or how big do I want these plants...?

Never be afraid to flush the rez. this is the business, something goes wrong you need to put it correct and fast, one way is to dump the rez, fill with water and wash the nutes of those roots.
    conc:
    Upgrade rez. 3-4 gallon.
    use the exisiting rez. to hold the plants as you deal with the flushing or prep of the new rez. consider starting a second batch with the old rez for clones

good job.

"V"

3. Thanks Vostok for the advice. Looking into a big rez now.