Leaves with yellow tips and brown spots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gasperlamarc, Mar 27, 2007.

1. I finally was able to start my first grow almost two weeks ago. Everything has been going pretty smooth except my bottom set of leaves on both plants have yellowish colored tips with brown spots on them, and one of the plants leaves are starting to fold up like a canoe. Like this \/
    I have done a little research and think i have figured out what it is, and just wanted to know if i am right or not and what the best solution is.

Background: the seeds were started in seed starting soil and then transplanted to a bigger pot at 1 1/2 weeks. The potting soil is miracle grow, but it is the organic kind (all I could find). I gave them a 1/4 strength dose of fertilizer twice this past week.

Diagnosis: I have narrowed it down to either over-watering (which is possible), fertilizer burn, or maybe root damage from transplanting them too soon.

2. sounds like it could be nute burn, i'd probably repot.

3. ^I agree, sounds like nute burn. Could be in combo with over-watering. What is your pH? And check that MG bag label again, are you sure no ferts?

4. The MG bag is .1-.05-.05 and it claims to be 100% organic. I didn't mix any perlite withe soil when i potted them, should i let them get to be a little more stable and redo the potting soil? All new growth looks great by the way; its just the two bottom leaves on each plant. Ph was between 6.5 -7.5, but i'm not sure how accurate the reading was because the only ph strips i had were the ones you urinate on.

5. i recently germinated some bag seed and them put them into that stupid miracle grow "organic" soil. http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/143652-first-time-grower-seedlings-going-too-slow.html

it stunned the growth like crazy and after 3 weeks i have tiny little plants that are maybe 3" tall. they look like they should be after 1 week of good growth. i also have the yellowing and drying of leaves. i think this soil is too much for the little guys to start in.

i've germinated and planted tomato seeds in the same soil, watering the same and using the same lights to see if they can grow better than the MJ's. this should be an interesting experiment...

6. Did you mix any perlite (or anything else for drainage) with your MG organic soil?

7. did u start with mg organic n not some seedling starter soil? i used a seedling starter mix then gave it a week n a half n transfered to 10" pots there doin fine for me it sounds nute burn shouldnt need nutes till at least 22-26 days then give em a little im at 29 days 25 days n one looks like crap 21 days my best is the 25 days looks more indica hybrid but the 29 day looks like it could be a cross with skunk its nute burn to me give em a good flush n then add a little bit next watering unless its only effecting them two then id say cut em off there gonna die neways but dont mess with em too much let em heal n they will fluorish

8. Yep, I had exactly the same problem...

[​IMG]

I realised it was too much nutrition in the soil - I should have used some seelding compost with no added nutrients!

I' ve since repotted in loam-based compost and they are looking much healthier...

P1010779.jpg

Change your soil mate - I bet you'll find that cures it!

Take it easy!

;)

9. Thanks for your help everybody. I have been watering less this past week and not adding any ferts and the plants are already looking healthier.