Leaves turning yellow and curling up? help?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PurpleKush42O, Feb 13, 2011.

1. #1 PurpleKush42O, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
    Ok so here is pictures of my plant currently, its a fail set up i know i am just trying to grow 1 plant and i didnt want to make it fancy.

anyways.
    my thought of why its doing this is because of the soil not being good enough?
    advice asap?
    oh also i bought this CLONE about 3-5 weeks ago, it came being 13 inches tall and looking pretty healthy. It came in the sponge block that you plant into the ground and the roots grow through.
    help asap would be nice, also id like to know when i can start flowering if it doesnt die.

Attached Files:

2. looks like a pH problem. id say your water is too alkaline. test your water to see and if thats the case flush the plant with like 5.5-6.5pH water and water it with 6.0-6.5pH water from now on.

some crap pH test/ adjuster kit from a pet store is fine.

3. #3 BigBud_N_Chill, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
    It looks like over watering too. So all r guesses but ez up on watering, make sure water is right ph, and have good soil. I would check PH of soil by checking runoff then go to checking what u r feeding them... If soil is miracle grow or pre-fertilized you are going to have more then one problem going on from the looks of it.

Use good soil and ph water then the only issue is getting lights. Those plants have hell of stretch too which means not enough light and/or too far away. That is my rough guess. To be exact need way more info. What did you use for soil? How often do you water? What are you using for lights? What is temp guessing not issue but could be a ton of things

4. what soil are you using? if you can post the 3 numbers on the bag (something like 3-8-4). Also it looks like youre using a "grow light" which is NOT useful. i know it might say "grow light" but these are usually incandescent or maybe quartz halogen which the color temps/spectrum sux! get some CFLs (the spiral lookin bulbs) in 2700K or 6500K (warm white or bright white/daylight). these lamps will help MUCH better. when you get these new bulbs/lamps keep them MUCH closer to your plant then you have that POS now. aim for 100 actual watts (i would buy 4x26w 2700K warm white lamps). When buying these bulbs make sure you look at the actual watts (itll read 100w=26w, or something like that. the second number is the ACTUAL WATTZ) i know this might all be alot but judging by what i see its what you need! lemme know if ya got some questions homi

5. ok so it could possibly be the soil, the soil is pretty old and had another plant in it at one time. For water, i have been using distilled water and water from my filter. For the PH stuff, what exactly are you talking about?
    i put my plant outside in the black pot.. its now getting better light.
    Watering..how much?

6. Read up on this to learn about PH

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/457285-ph-ppm-whats-all-about.html

7. pH is a measure between alkaline and acidic. i think it ranges from 0 to 14, 7 being neutral. if you have pH test strips or a digital meter, you can measure this yourself. MJ grows best in a slightly more acidic pH so like 6-6.5, something like that. 7 is okay if youre adding nutes to mak it a little more acidic. most bottled water is around 7 and most tap is more alkaline like 7.5 or higher. With that said you also have to understand that pH lvls in water vary depending on location so my tap could be more or less then your tap water. you can buy pH up or down depending on your needs but i just use bottled water (some bottled water can be more alkaline though, but not likely). a neutral pH is fine though if thats all you really got and/or you dont want to deal and hassle with it; however you will find as your plant grows bigger it WILL need a more acidic pH.

Since youve been keeping it outside in the sun you will see a HUGE positive effect on your growth and overall health of your MJ plant, so you did good there. if you continue to leave it outside thats fine and would be best if you dont feel like buying lights but keep in mind that the outdoor season is really still kind of far away depending on where you live and you are going to have a MASSIVE tree on your hands by the time the season changes to where your plant recognizes it as the time to switch to flowering. again this is good, but youll be waiting and tending it for a long time and without much exp. youre likely to fail ( not to discourage you though). All this info can be found in alot of the stickies on this forum. i suggest using the search thread for specifics like pH, lights, outdoors, etc.

best of luck:smoke:

8. #9 PurpleKush42O, Feb 14, 2011
    yeah i know i am going to let it grow until the next outdoor flower. i wish i had an autoflower strain, :/. what about spraying the leaves? i havnt ever done that, i have seen it in movies hahah
    also: yes i know i hope leaving it outdoors will help it, since in my room it was always stuffy and hot.
    even if the water is too acidic or alkaline , how do i fix it?
    oh also i found some orange tree feed and it seemed like it had some nutes that i could use so i put some in. not much though. thoughts on this?

9. i dont really know how the sun affects prisms of water droplets outdoors but i know that if you spray your plants on indoor plants the direct light can shine through those little droplets of water from the spray and work similar to how a magnifying glass burns ants. yuo literally can burn holes through your plants fan leaves, so i dont suggest spraying and i know many others would suggest the same thing. maybe a little foilar feeding if your leaves have a small deficiancy but even then i would only spray a light mist right as the lights go out.

as for the orange tree stuff you would need to post the 3 numbers so i can tell ya if there is really any need for it. should be some numbers somewhere on the bottle like 3-4-5 or somthing.

10. ill get those numbers back to you in the morning. For now, all i can say is that i might let it grow outdoors for another month or 2, then bring it inside and ill have some better lights going and hopefully better soil and vent system, etc.

But, does anyone know when the nearest time is that i can start to force flower?

11. MJ can be put into flowering at ANY time. its such a hardy plant:hello:

12. Ok well my parents are trippn.. and dont want it. So im thinking of maybe right now just throwin it outside for 12 hours and in my closet for 12 hours. Any thoughts?

13. orry to say this but shes going to die, you dont have the slightest clue how to grow a plant. someone gave you a long speel and a link and you still asked how to fix it. Your using nutes for trees? and you put it in preused soil that looks like it has dry leaves and twigs in it. First if you even want a chance get it out of that useless soil and get some good stuff like foxfarm or better promix. Then get some basic veg and flowering nutes again easy like foxfarm. Get yourself a ph pen at the least to check feed water every time you water. Im sure your ph is out of wack and if you dont get a way to moniter it shes as good as dead. you really need to do alot of reading on waht it takes to grow mj before you even start. theres a ton of posts on here every beginner needs to read before making these basic steps, like good soil and ph and light and humidity and watering.

14. naww i really doubt its going to die because it still has perfectly healthy leaves and has done this in a course of over 3-5 weeks, ill post more.. but im going 2 say that its going to be fine when i get new soil tomorro.
    also when i transplant it into new soil, any tips on that? because it came in the spongy block that you plant into soil , wondering if its any different

15. well darr is not too far from the truth that it will die, but as long as you follow everything thats been posted you can turn it around. again i do suggest that you use the search tool above on the toolbar to find stickies that can get more in depth for your specific problems (transplanting, lights, whatever). theres alot to learn and even more to figure out with exp.

16. Well, unless you're in Australia or someplace lower in latitude, if you leave your plant outside it will be exposed to 13/11 light which will likely force flower your plant now. To prevent this, you'll need to keep it under light for ~18 straight hours (18/6), which necessarily means an indoor grow, or at least, a modifed grow as the sun ain't up that long these days...

I'd wager that your citrus fertilizer is balanced, something like 8-8-8, Nitrogen-Phosporus-Potassium, N-P-K. I'd suspect your plant may do better by the application of this than nothing at all, but I really shouldn't say as I don't know about using such fertilizers for mj. I don't know what may be up with your plant other than possible overwatering.

17. #18 darrmann, Feb 14, 2011
    that spongy thing is a rockwool cube. be careful and turn the pot upside down holiding the plant and work the dirt out of the roots. dont try to get rid of block. get soil from hydr store do not get miracle grow. fox farm soil will have the right amount of nutes for a few weeks so you only have to worry about watering and ph. and beleive me she will die if shes been without the right stuff for this long . once they start going they will go quick.get a ph pen or drops at hydro store also. Read the post below yours about bringing plant in and out of the house, I just commented on it. Is this going to be outside evntually? is it warm outside where you live now? just looked the one about in and out is 2 posts below yours.

18. i live in california, its normally pretty warm here, in the mid 70's usually, and its now outdoors. Im not even going to bring it in at night unless needed for the hours. a lot of police helicopters cruise by so could be bust. Whatevs, anywayss, im going 2 post daily updates on the plant.
    For overwatering... what would you say is enough? what would you say is too little?:smoke:

19. Over watering and potassium burn.

Leave it for a couple days, then flush it... then restart giving nutes but at a slightly lesser dosage.