Leaves turning dark purple, need help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ColoradoHiLife, Apr 1, 2013.

1. So I'm 23 days into flower and I recently noticed leaves on the mid/lower part of the plants are turning dark purple and some yellow. From what I've read it seams like it could be a nitrogen deficiency. Is it too early in flower to be seeing a nitrogen deficiency? We had some cold temps last week but the temp never went below 50 in the tent at night.

Attached Files:

2. Nothing to do with nitrogen. If you aren't short of 'P' in either soil or diet, then Yep, that's a cold thing. Decreases Phosphorous uptake/use/mobility. I have a bunch of these, I love my purple plants. You'll see changes on some strains at 64 F. It's beautiful.

3. Ok so the purple is fine but what about the leaves that are yellowing? Isn't it a little soon in flower for the fan leaves to begin yellowing? Thanks.

4. What soil and what nutes? Technically if its not a purple plant yes. But when flushing it kinda looks like what I see in ur pictures. Have u been feeding just water?

5. The strain is Flo. I'm using ffof soil and the entire line of GO nutes. Feed every water which is usually every 3 days. I was feeding according to the go schedule but I have a feeling I need to up the nutes to the heavy feeding directions.

6. #6 scarlettbagonia, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    nothing wrong with that plant, just keep to a good feeding schedule. If it were showing n deficiency, there wouldn't really be anything you could do about it anyway. too much nitrogen in flower can give you a too much leaf and smaller calyxes, and that sucks!

It's better to just let it do what it's gonna do and make sure to give it proper flower nutes and since your using ffof and GO i would say you have little to worry about.

I have seen strains finish with almost no healthy leaves but the buds will be amazing

Edit: just noticed you said you water every 3 days, you might be watering too frequently. Even though you feed with every watering the plants won't really use all the nutes if the soil doesn't dry out enough. For instance I water every 7 to 9 days and i have 80x90cm plants in 7 gallon containers, but i use a custom coco mix so it holds a lot of water.

That cold spell may have been what is causing the purple. 50 is to cold 65 is more like it. 30 degree temp defs can cause purple or even red in some strains

7. So I found some pictures of my strain on the internet and sure enough the leaves are supposed to turn purple. I was a little more curious about the yellowing leaves though being that I'm only 3 weeks into flower. All in all though the plants look healthy so we'll see what happens. This is my first grow and when I see any little change out of the ordinary I freak out lol. Here are a couple more pics of the other Flo plant I have that show the yellowing leaves a little better.

Attached Files:

8. You're probably right, I should stop freaking out and let them do their thing. About the watering, I'm in 5 gal containers and these guys were vegged for two months so they suck up water pretty quick now. In actuality I water them every 3 to 4 days. I don't water them until I pick them up and they are fairly light. I haven't had any problems with water logging so far.

9. If anything its nitro deficiency which is kinda normal in flower since u don't need much. Do you use coco? Sounds like u know what's up with the watering so I won't go there.