Leaves turn towards UVB source?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by shadow51020, Jan 7, 2012.

1. I just added a fluorescent UVB bulb to the tent and i noticed that the leaves turn more towards the UV source than the main light source. Not all of them are this way though, the OG kush shows it a little, but not too much. This is more thinking out loud to see if any others have input.

My thoughts
    Maybe this could be showing that the addition of UV for potency increase is purely genetic, being bred out in a number of the small, indoor only strains.​

Is UV going to hurt plants that don't react to it?
    If trichs are, in fact, produced to protect the plant from UVB; wouldn't the UV harm a plant that can't protect itself from it? Similar to how one person can get sunburned more easily than another.​

2. I think it's too early to say at this stage, the use of UV/UVb has always been a neg. as growing goes, some think it does produce more oils, but little has been proven so far

as per your leaf??...some people LIKE to get sunburnt or even tan!!

give it a couple of weeks...then report back

peace
    "V"

3. I wouldn't read too much into it. My friend had a 600w hps with a halogen a few feet away and all the plants would turn towards the halogen. He then of course tried to convince me the halogens are better grow lights then hps.

4. When plants face a certain direction based on light it's called phototropism. In most plants this is a blue light reaction, cannabis included. So any source high in the blue spectrum will make plants turn towards it and away from a light source with less blue, but it doesn't mean that the blue source is better for growth (photosynthesis), it just means that light source contains the spectrum that activates phototropism.

5. Yeah maybe I am just looking into it too much. Reading it again now even it kind of sounds dumb. I read something in high times about the uv possibly being bred out as well. Im kind of experimenting with this one.