Leaves still turning yellow/brown

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Jason10, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Hi guys (& lasses),
    this is really bugging me now. My leaves are still turning brown & yellow from the tips although the new leaves are growing. Could the temperature be too high under my 110w flourescent light (its about 3-4inches above the tips of the plants. Unfortunately the soil I'm using does not specify the nutrient ratio on the bag. I've been watering about twice a week. I'll try & post some pics later on today, but my camera's not up to much! Any help again would be appreciated!
    Jason xx

2. A pic would be great but sounds like possible fert burn...

3. are u putting ffert in them.. and how old are they

4. If there are spots on the leaves and the tips of the fan leaves become brown, then you have fert burn. Other than that without more info or a pic I have no idea.

5. Thanks for the advice, they are 15 days old at the mo. I havent used any fertilizer on them and the soil I bought doesnt say on the bag what the ratio is!

Anyway, just checked the ph and its just over about 6.1, would this cause the problem of browning, yellow leaves?
    Ive just bought some garden lime to get the ph up to 7. What is the best way to apply this without damaging the plant?

Sorry, still cant get a photo uploaded.

Many thanks
    Jason

6. acutally 6.1 isn't bad for MJ, she tends to like it in the more acidic range...but no it doesn't really sound like a PH problem...what brand of soil was it? if it has fertilizer already in it then your going to want to re-pot soon. the pre-fertilized soils have a tendancy to not realse properly, it's best to just use plain potting soil or a custom mix.