leaves pointing and slightly curling?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dankydankk, May 16, 2012.

1. Ill try to post some pics in alittle,

But I have two seedlings alittle over a week old,

Their different strains but in both plants the two most top leaves our curling inward at the base near the stem but flattens around midway -top of leaf,

Their the set that is most pointy towards light, the side leaves are also pointing (not as much) towards the lights but not curling.

I'm buying a Ph tester and thermometer tomorrow, its my first grow.

Each under 4 23w cfls 1600 lumens each, flat white reflecters, I'm not sure if its too hot/heat or Ph imbalance

2. Also one developed a rust spot a few days ago but now fading

3. This was a day ago, temp outside rose 20 and I have no a/c ATM, like I said dont know if heat is a part of it

ForumRunner_20120515_185843.png

4. I think if they're curling up that's fine. It if they curl down then you should check if your overwatering. Mine are all currently pointed up like yours.

5. Yeah you're one of the few people who have said it may be normal, they may be underwatered a bit actually,

Also, Ive been using purified water at the moment because im letting my new gallon of tap water sit for a couple days, it seems like the curling has gotten worse since switching to purified

6. The plant looks fine for now. Once it drops the cotyledons, you'll know if there's anything wrong. I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that you aren't measuring pH. If that's correct, a pH meter should be your next investment. Without it, you're growing blind.

7. Yeah I'm buying one tomorrow, you are 100% right about growing blindly without, its a total day to day gamble.

Thanks, I've been stressing over this,

8. [quote name='"Original Past"']The plant looks fine for now. Once it drops the cotyledons, you'll know if there's anything wrong. I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that you aren't measuring pH. If that's correct, a pH meter should be your next investment. Without it, you're growing blind.[/quote]

Yoo so I just checked my little baby and the cotyledon is turning dark orange? I've read of yellowing but couldn't find anything on oranging, is this normal as it dies?

9. What's your medium, and what size container is that you have them in.

Your plant is too young to be doing anything but watering and leaving them alone.

10. Don't let the roots be exposed to lights, even an cloudy white plastic material will leek light into the soil and your roots will not like it. Both of your planters can use it, use whatever's the cheapest like duct tape or black paint, as long as it stops the light. Your seedling looks healthy so far you should try to relax a lil and not get obsessive compulsive about it or you will overlook the enjoyment aspect of growing and learning.

11. So is the oranging alright as the cotyledon dies? Its 9-11 days old, not sure exactly when the cotyledons die, I'm buying a Ph tester today hopefully,

And I was lazy and used moisture control miracle grow because I got it for free, but now have FFOF and buying perlite as a filler later today.
    And will switch when transplanting.

I haven't feed them anything as MG is filled with wayyy to much crap.

The cupping and curling has gotten worse since using purified water, switching back to tap tonight.

12. [quote name='"badboy287"']What's your medium, and what size container is that you have them in.

Your plant is too young to be doing anything but watering and leaving them alone.[/quote]

MG moisture control, I know I know, bad choice but switching. The container is about 6in deep

13. If your seeing rust spots you probably have been feeding with the ph out of whack. It's always good to find out first what the oh of your water source is. Mine is a seven straight from the tap I let water sit in two five gal buckets for over night to let the chlorine dissolve when I add nutrients it jumps down to a six and a half. Which always works best for me.
    The plant is young enough and healthy enough you can put it into a bigger pot and water it with ph seven water a few times and the ph should be ok.

14. Just ph the water and just for the record. If your gonna use mg of any sort IMO a good flush before using it is a good thing. But then again if it's time released nutes in there they won't really wash away anyway. But IMO its better than outside soil that comes with bugs in it. I had a rust spot plant last grow and I fought that shit all ye way to the end. A good thing is a little bit of lime in the soil
    Lime is used as a ph buffer

15. [quote name='"Numbnutts"']Just ph the water and just for the record. If your gonna use mg of any sort IMO a good flush before using it is a good thing. But then again if it's time released nutes in there they won't really wash away anyway. But IMO its better than outside soil that comes with bugs in it. I had a rust spot plant last grow and I fought that shit all ye way to the end. A good thing is a little bit of lime in the soil
    Lime is used as a ph buffer[/quote]

Well straight lime from the fridge work? Lol.

And I had a rust spot on another plant but after letting my tap water sit rather than direct, it started to fade.

Do you know if cupping/curling inward (which is only on the set of biggest leaves,) usually a sign of too high or too low of a Ph?