Leaves look like a canoe. Question?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by beerbrewer, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Ok, I would post this in the sick plants/infirmary section but I trust the guys here to know what's going on better. Transplanted 11 days ago. Used a mix of perlite, compost (my own consisting of year old : organic soil, horse poop, rabbit poop, worm castongs, edamame pods, banana peels, egg ahells, orange peels, grass clippings, you get the idea)
    , earthworm castings and newly cycled soil. So there is a shit ton of goodies in the soil and a good amount of microbes. Innoculated an AACT 3 days after transplanted. Sprayed extreme serene (kelp derivative by roots organic cuz i was too lazy to brew my own) protekt and azamax in water.
    Girls are in 2 trays, 12 plants each 4x4 tray. 2" of perlite lines the bottom of each tray. 1" of water being wicked up by the perlite into the smart pots sitting on top. Girls are happy and healthy. Except...

Extreme leaf taco - ing. Canoeing. Whatever you want to call it. The new growth is coming out folded up like it's scareded to let in the light. Super scareded. I have 2 darkstar in the room and the leaves are a brighter green than the rest, but the veins are dark green. The contrast is very noticeable.

Even as a semi seasoned grower, I still pay too much attention to my plamts. And this looks like a magnesium deficiency. I have 2 fans blowing constantly on the girls, the lights are a good 24-28" away. This led me to one thing to fix. Epsom salts.

So I mixed the desired amount of Epsom salts with water and watered it in to the girls. That was an hour ago. Thoughts?

2. Oh and the lights are 1k each.

3. Pics would help.

4. Gimme 4 mins

5. The taco!

Attached Files:

6. Any highdeas?

7. It's hard to tell with the HPS light distorting the color of the leaves. A couple of questions:

1) Are these clones or from seed?

2) Is the medium overly moist from the SIP's?

3) When you say you are over attentive, are you spraying them with your potion daily, weekly, etc. Are you putting anything else on them that isn't included in the soil.

The reason I ask these questions is that I have seen plants express like this if there excessive PGR's applied. Kelp and alfalfa are 2 inputs that contain PGR's and should be used but not excessively.

I would just water only for a while and TBH, if the the pots are soaked, I'd remove from the perlite for a week or so and let the medium dry out a bit. Don't be spraying anything except a neem/protekt IPM spray and see where you're at in a couple of weeks.

Try to practice LITFA as the saying goes.

HTH

Chunk

8. Quick question, were you playing around with any humic/fulvic additives? Just curious.

Other than that, I think Chunk has some most excellent advice to follow.

Wet

9. #9 beerbrewer, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    Nope.

I take that back. I added a tsp of microflora to the alfalfa kelp ewc tea I made for them. They got that back on Thursday.

10. #10 beerbrewer, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    Clones.

I wouldn't say it is overly moist. I think it is the right amount. Could be wrong. I will ste the pots on saucers to get them off the perlite and let the medium dry out. 6 of the plants are in plastic 2.5 gallon pots. 18 are in 3 gallon smarties fyi. The medium seems to have a nice moisture content but I will take the advice to dry it out a bit. How dry do I want it to get?

I spray them once a week with azamax and protekt and extreme serene.

I honestly think my lights were burning them. I raised the lights up about 3 feet off the canopy and measured the temp at 18" underneath the light. It was 85. Once I checked the girls again this evening when the lights came back on they had opened up their canoe and were starting to look better.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be monitoring them closely over the next week. Hopefully they come out of this well and this damn Cali heat gives me a break.