Leaves dying, stunted growth.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Blondie2014, Oct 15, 2014.

1. #1 Blondie2014, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    Not sure what I am doing wrong. I lost 6 plants and thought I finally got things in order. No such luck. At first I thought over water. Ok... Stop water so much. That seemed to help some. Slowly plants died until I only have one left. This plant is 4 months old. Small for that age I think. I repotted as all lower leaves died so its taller than it looks actually. Any ideas what is wrong? Soil is mix coast of main perlite vermiculite cow crap and some Home Depot type nutes mixed in. Images attached. Ideas??

Light is 600 watt hps on 18 hours.

Attached Files:

2. I think the cow crap and the home Depot nutes are what's causing your issues.
    Are you just using perlite and vermiculite? Nothing else besides the poop and HD nutes?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 foolmelt, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    Your soil is way too acidic for that poor little plant. Flush with PH 7.0 water every other day for 2 weeks. At 4 months your plants should be 4ft tall and halfway through flower, next time around go with a reputable soil like Happy Frog or FFOF and buy cannabis specific nutrients like Fox Farms, Dyna-Gro or Advanced Nutrients and stick to a proper feeding schedule.

4. The nutes are plant tone and the cow crap was seasoned. I'm using nothing other than this. I'll try the water flush idea.

5. Plant Tone is great but I would never use it on a seedling which it looks like you plant never really made it to veg. Is there time release ferts in the CoM stuff? You should be able to get through an entire grow with water only using that mix of soil. I think you need to try to get your soil right... a lot of people that don't understand soil gardening would tell you to flush but that is the last thing you want to do. Flushing is for salt build up and unless you use chemical nutes you have no salt build up in your soil. Whenever my plants start to look less than jubilant I give them a compost tea at their next watering and they perk right back up. Get the microbes in your soil right and they will work on processing all that stuff and maintaining pH in the rhyzosphere.

Next time don't plant in that mix though. Use a seedling starter mix like 3 parts peat, 3 parts, aeration, 2 parts earthworm castings and you will have beautiful little seedlings that around day 10-14 will be ready to be transplanted to your mix and really take off.

6. If that plant is 4 months old and looks like that, trash it.  Your soil is suspect and needs the opposite of flushing.  

IDK where you got that recipe from.  Ironically you are using Espoma, and Coast of Maine, 2 of my favorite products although the soil recipe you are using is missing key components, primarily humus source.  If you had just mixed that with a large bag of the COM Bar Harbor soil mix, and some worm castings you would have been well on your way.  Unfortunately the pure manure is just not suitable for growing in that concentration.  All the perlite and vermiculite are doing is improving soil texture, er manure texture.  It's an amendment not a primary growing medium.