Leaves drooping after water

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Shreder, Oct 1, 2017.

1. pics from before and after watering only 1 litres of water.
    i was watering 2 litres every other day when this happened, so gave it just 1 liter everey day, this kept on going so lastly i havent watered for 36 hours and it was dry and lightweight before giving it only 1 liter, pics with the hid on are from an hour after watering just one liter..

using a 19 L airpot and 50/50 coco perlite
    this is an automatic northern lights by seedstockers on day 60 from seed,
    light schedule 18/6
    25c / 40% rh lights on
    21c / 50% rh lights off

help would be apreciated[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

2. That plant is showing heat stress all over. It's contracted the leaves to attempt to limit respiration of additional water because it's too hot. What are you temp during lights on?

3. Yea I agree with tbone, kinda looks like the taco effect in some of the upper leaves. 2 liters every other day sounds like a lot to me but I'm not familiar with air pots or hps systems so maybe that's normal?

Edit - jk actually that doesn't sound like a lot lol maybe try watering more at a time and less often.

4. as said guys my groom is 21/25c, at most 23/26 thats measured with 2 hygrometers..
    rh 40-50%
    could that really be too hot?
    and why does that happen only at water

5. You can also get heat stress from the light being too close. Are you blowing on the plant with an oscilating circ fan?

6. Light stress maybe homie. Just to intense but I'm not sure that's related the the droopiness.

7. Some strains have a much lower light tolerance then others.

Your feed rate seems off. If that was my plant it would probably be eating 2 liters a day every day no skipping days or it gets droopy. Feed every time no days with just water.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I've had plants in 7 gallon smart pots with promix/perlite that ate over 1 gallon a day. I couldn't skip a day ever. The typical plant is about 1/2 gallon a day.

9. light is 400hps and is 40-45cm from the canopy as for that specific reason.. she stressed the f out when i lowered it to the 35cm area..
    yep above is same answer
    so what would you say?
    water normal today 2 liters? just see how she behaves?

10. How wet is the pot? Is is still way heavy? If so don't overwater it but getting it to start feeding more heavily would be key to bigger yields. You have 50% perlite? It should have amazing drainage. Hard to overwater really. With the airpots and the high percentage of perlite I'm surprised she's not a daily feeder.

11. its very light and dry, im watering at mininum rates the past couple of days but today i made sure the temp is not over 26 when i watered 2 liter with 1.8 ec, no drooping was visible.
    will follow tomorrow and water 2 liters as well..
    seems like the slightest increase to 26.5 at the canopy is too hot for fer

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 Tbone Shuffle, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    I don't think it's optimal to let her get too dry. There's been a lot of discussion about the wet/dry cycle of a pot in various threads lately on SIP systems. Most everyone who converts to an SIP system has a good increase in plant growth. The plant remains an even level of moisture all the time so it can aerate and feed at the same time.

SIP is wick feeding from the bottom. Many who have converted talk about how letting the plant dry out all the way is not optimal for the plant. Probably the best is frequent small amounts of watering. Especially if you feed lite. I do once a day for all my plants. They rarely go a day without at least a small amount of feed. I also almost never feed just water. I'm a hydro grower though so just water is starving a plant. People have scoffed at that practice but it works great for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thanks for all the info tbone, ive also never grown in soil only coco perlite and hydroponics.. so i am quite familiar with heavy watering and it is the first time a plant in that medium doesnt respond well to watering.. my agronomist says droopy leaves may point a finger on root problems, whatcha thoughts?

14. Droppy leaves do indicate lack of air to the roots sometimes, but you're in 50% perlite and an airpot. I don't think that's possible. You notice any reddish slimy growth? or brown roots?

15. A plant that size in a 50/50 coco/perlite mix in an air-pot should be fed twice a day minimum. Coco should never dry out and should be fed to run off every time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. roots are white from what i see here on the top inch and bottom of the pot..
    so what would you recommend? because droopiness comes only after water.. 12 hours later and shes back again

17. When you did feed - was it to run off every time? Have you ever used just water?

18. #18 Shreder, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    at first yes, but then at signs of overwater i stopped, i was feeding up until a couple of weeks ago to 20% run off once per 2 days..

i did think of watering 2-3 days just water to clean the system.. but its my first automatic and she seems very fragile.. also to control the heat even more ive moved the lights off time between 11 to 17 - should keep the groom on 24-25 constant..

p.s she looks sad

[​IMG]

19. There is no way that a plant that size can be overwatered in a 50/50 coco/perlite mix, and never give just water in coco. If you wish to flush then use a 1/4 strength nute solution with a pH of 6.0. I'm no expert at diagnosing plant problems, but possibilities would be root rot or root bound.

20. the root sections is enormous, the airpot is full of roots all over the place, when i stick my finger in the coir u can feel how strong and thick they are..

im going to water right now an additional 2 liters, same 1.7ec as yesterday, if that doesnt help i will flush, with about 0.5ec you say? how much water would you recommend?