Leaves Curling up

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by linedrivr, Jul 1, 2007.

1. I just started my 1st grow today and transplanted my 11 day old plants from the 2 gal bubbler in the veg cab to the 5 gal grow bubblers in the grow room. I have noticed the leaves are curling upwards the last couple days. I have been keeping my PH from 5.2 - 5.6.

I read on the sticky here that it could be a magnesium deficiency because the PH is to low. Any thoughts on this?

I am using the GH nutes with the Lucas formula. I have them at half strength and they have been at this strength since they started there 3rd set of leaves.

Thanks.

2. leaves curling upwards can be magnesium if its the leaf margins that curl(canoe shaped leaves) not the leaf tips

however this same leaf margin curl can also be attributed to heat stress as the plant tries to control transpiration

what are your res temps?

how close are your lites to the plants & whats the wattage & room temps

to help confirm magnesium def look for a lightning in color between the leaf veins

if the leaf tips are curling this could be a PH issue

your PH is low ...bring it up to 5.5-5.8

can you post pics?

3. after i transplanted my plants
    the plants which had gone through the violent transplants had leaves curling up pretty badly but most of them went back to normal after a couple of days while alot of the leaves just died off
    your leaves curling could just be from a stressful transplant

4. Here are a couple pics. My digital cam is 5 yrs old and not the best.

I am using a 1000w Digital w/ air cooled reflector by a 465 vortex. The light gets central air of 72 degrees pulled thru it from another room and vented to the attic. The grow room is vented continuosly by a seperate 465 vortex thru the attic and piped out the top of the roof. It pulls in air passively thru another vent form another room @ 72 degrees. There is always fresh air in ther.

My hygrometer shows 88 but it is off by about 10 degrees and has been since new. I know this because I can take it in the hallway and hold it against the home A/C digital thermostat and it reads 72 and the hygrometer will read 82. I have ordered another brand and it will be here next week. It is about 78 - 79 in the grow room.

My light is 21 inches above the lid of the grow buckets. I have (2) oscillating fans in the room as well. I can hold the back of my hand about 6 inches below the light reflector and it is not to hot to hold there.

Is it possible that the roots are drying out since they came from dangling in the nutes of the 2 gal bubbler for the last week to now being transplanted into hydroton and not submerged?

Attached Files:

5. looks like your ferts arent strong enough, and/or your too acidic causing lockout
    Im leaning towards PH locking out due to the curling twisting leaves and the plants are stunted.

try rasing the PH for a day or so before you start adding magnesium more ferts or what have you

whats the PPM's? if you dont have a meter , you really need it for hydro

6. The plants may look stunted because the majority of the stem is under hydroton. My baskets are 5.5" deep and I germed them in 1.5" rockwool cubes.

I raised the PH earlier today to 6.0 and my ppm is 290. My RO water is 40 PPM before I add nutes. With nutes added, it is 330 for a net of 290.

The magnesium deficiency is very confusing. I have read that you want to keep your PH between 5.2 - 5.5 in a hydro system. The sticky on this site states that your plants get magnesium deficient because they can't absorb it with a PH less than 5.8. I guess i'll keep it around 6.0 and see what happens.

I am using the Lucas formula and it sais no need for epsom salts for magnesium. Do I need them?

Thanks for the help.

7. here are some better pics

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. I still think your ph and ppm are low, but Im no hydro head

you can always post in the advanced growing room aswell there are hydro guys in there

9. Thanks Ganja.