leaves curling under with yellow tips

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mudchaos, May 26, 2009.

1. Hi All:wave:

Having some problems here and hoping for some good advice.

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? Fox Farms Ocean Forest
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? White Satin
    How old are the plants? Two weeks
    What type of lights and how many watts? 600 HPS
    How far from the lights? 24-26 inchs
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? well water, only when soil is very dry
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? See below
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? n/a
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 78-82 f ; 40-50% RH
    What size pots? 4.25 gallon recent transplant
    Any bugs? Look real close. None whatsoever (examined under magnification)
    Any other pertinent info? see below

Well I transplanted these 7 plants from 4" peat pots to these large containers 3 days ago. I mixed some organic amendments into the soil just before transplant and am guessing I used too much but tell me what you think:eek:

When I transplanted the other day the roots had excellent growth filling 4" peat pots in only 4-5 days and the plants looked very healthy, only about 12 hours post transplant did these symptoms begin.

These are rough measurements each going into about .75 cubic feet (1/2 bag) of FFOF

~ 1 cup dried blood
    ~ 1 cup worm castings ( actually granular all purpose fertilizer OOPS!)
    ~ 3 tbsp Epsom salts
    ~ 3 tbsp powdered lime
    ~ 1 tbsp garden iron (chelated iron ? sp)
    ~ 15% perlite by volume
    ~ 15% coco coir by volume GH chunky type
    ~ 1/2-3/4 cup guano grow
    ~ 3/4 cup guano bloom

Just checked and what I thought was worm casting is actually general purpose fert CONTAINING worm castings

Pictures of all the ingredients below

Attached Files:

2. this is prob going to be your issue (oops)

your soil is too hot and you need to flush it. looks like you are over fert the poor baby.

3. Yeah thats what I thought too. I cant believe I did that. I only realized my mistake when I was half way thru writing the post and stopped to take pictures to show y'all.

From what I was just reading in another thread I guess I should of let the soil sit for two weeks or so before planting in it, is this correct?

This is a pick of the back label from the fertilizer.

4. no need to let it sit. just needs to be mixed really good. you cant give a new plant like that a hot dose of soil. good luck

5. I mean heres a picture of the fert label;)

Attached Files:

6. ahh its not that bad actually. give it a good flush and see what you get after that.

whats the PH at again?

7. :wave:

The pH of the soil is ~6.8. It was 7 when I first transplanted and has been dropping fractionally each day since. I was planning on seeing were it stopped before trying to make any adjustments. If the research I have been doing is accurate it should be about 6.5 in soil. Is that correct?

Thanks for the great advice

Mud :smoking:

I just rechecked the pH to take a pic and it looks more like 6.9 today

Attached Files:

8. bring it to 6.5

9. What do you recommend to lower the pH? I found a few gardening sites that suggest aluminum sulfate Does anyone know if this is n effective and safe way of lowering pH?

Thanks,

Mud