Leaves Curling- New Curious Grower Here!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by afboy143, Dec 3, 2009.

1. #1 afboy143, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
    Hello Everyone!

New grower here! A little background on myself. I am not a user; however, it facinates me that simply putting a seed into soil can make you become a criminal. Furthermore, it blows my mind that you can be arrested for smoking something that is grown naturally here on God's green earth. With that said, I was interested in seeing just how this works.

One day, I took a seed out of a buddy's bag and stuck it into a small pot of Miracle Grow (Gf loves to grow flowers and such). To my suprise, 3 days later in the sunlight I see something growing! Sweet!

I took my new little friend indoors and named her Fran. I put her under a florecent desk lamp I had. Its been about 3 weeks now and Fran is really growing up. She has pistols growing which shows me she is female. She gets light 12 hours on/12 hours off. No nutrient are added except water every 4-5 days when soil seems to get pretty dry. My problem now is the leaves toward the top are starting to curl in. Its mainly the 3 middle ones. The leaf is curling long ways--- meaning the leaf looks like a tube now. There is no yellowing- just curling. I read this could be from heat-- but from a flourecent light? The light stays 4-6 inches away. What else could cause this? Lack of nutrients? Ill post pictures tomorrow of Fran to get more of an idea on this. Let me know and cheers! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. #2 aj69420g, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
    Sometimes when the plant needs nitrogen, it takes nitrogen from the fan leaves and they curl. This really shouldnt happen until you are closer to harvest, and it draws an abnormal amount from the fan leaves and they curl substantially.

My guess is a nitrogen deficiency, plants need nitrogen during flowering stage. If you haven't been giving nutrients to the plants this is almost certain. When any sickness approaches the lower leaves of plants that means its telling you what the roots need now.

It just needs some nitrogen, I'd suggest MiracleGrow Phosphorus Bone Meal, NPK is 6-9-0 6% nitrogen 9% phosphorus 0% potassium.. You can get it for 4$ at wal-mart.

Use that at about 1/2 strength recommended with next watering and you should be okay.

Hope I Helped :)

3. Thank you sir! Ive been reading on this forum alot and talk about a newb question that I posted. There is a lot more involved in this than simply placing a seed in a pot. Anyway, Im going to see what I can do with what I have no and in the future do it the "correct way".

So how exactly can I add nitrogen to this plant?

4. Well I'm glad to hear you are reading up that is vital. But as long as you stick to a few simple rules you dont really need all the expensive stuff..

Water with distilled only

Use 6500k&5500k to veg and 2200k&2700

Use fox farm soil.

and read!

5. #5 afboy143, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
    Well here is some pictures of her. Let me know how she looks and what is causing this curling!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Only the top leaves are curling upward which suggests that the lights are too close. I grow hot peppers under T5 fluro lights and my top leaves were curling up because I had the lights about 4 to 5 inches away. Back the lights up a little and run a low fan to keep some air flowing. Also, it wouldnt hurt to give it some magnesium since magnesium deficiency can cause leaves to curl. Water with 1 to 2 tablespoons of pure epsom salt per gallon of water. Make sure you're not overwatering too.

With all said.. I still think the likely cause is heat. Good luck!