Leaves curling down, tips turning orange/yellow

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ThaiNoodles, Nov 16, 2009.

1. About a month and a half ago, a friend of mine had to take a plant out of his hydro set up and transplant it to soil (it was maybe 6 inches tall at the time). He gave it to me and it was in pretty bad shape. I've been doing what I can to keep it going but I pretty much have no Idea what I'm doing. I'd say the plant is about 2 months old now, it's around 2 feet tall and the fan leaves are curling and turning yellow at the tips. I just switched to 12/12 a few days ago and would like to get this plant healthy again. My setup is ghetto rigged, 2 75W fluorescent bar lights. I'm using 6-12-6 miracle-gro indoor plant food spikes, which I now realize isn't a great idea but they've been in there for a while so there's not much I can do about that. The temperature is somewhere around 60 degrees farenheit. I water it about every 5 days or whenever the soil is substantially dry.
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics, sorry for the low quality:

Attached Files:

2. I should add that I'm almost positive the plant is over fertilized, but am not sure how to correct the problem. I put in plant food spikes about a month ago and added 2 more when I changed it to a bigger pot. Should I just wait for the spikes to run out and hope the problem corrects itself, or is there something I should do to counteract it? I tried digging a couple of em out but it's nearly impossible at this point.

3. Bump for an answer I need to know as well

4. It's hard to see much of anything in the pics you posted...but I'd say
    1. check the ph of the water you're using, the ph may be too high
    2. remove the mg fert spikes - don't leave them in. See about getting nutes that are more mj friendly ;)
    3. flush with ph balanced water, check the runoff and see what the ph level is.

there are some very helpful stickies at the top of absolute beginners, indoor growing, etc...each of the grow sections on the forum have tons of very helpful info in the stickies.

GL
    Doin'

5. Thanks for the response! I just flushed her, the ph of the water going in was a 6, coming out it was 6.8 How long should it take to see any improvement? She'll probably look a little sick for a while I'm guessing since I just ran so much water through the root system. I tried to dig some of the spikes out but only could locate a couple as the rest are from a while ago and the roots have completely overtaken them.

6. IMO the ones you were able to take out should help. It'll be a few days at least before you'll see a change. Keep an eye on the new growth, it'll tell ya what's going on ;)

GL
    Doin'