Leaves curling and dying, can you help? Good Pics Included

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by schmedrickk, May 17, 2009.

1. #1 schmedrickk, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
    Hi,

One of my plants is dying and I don't know why. I have tried Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus boosts, and nothing has worked. I also read all of the sticky's and I can't seem to find a problem that matches mine, although a Magnesium deficiency seems to come the closest. If anyone has any idea's to try, please let me know.

Soil - FoxFarm Happy Frog
    Ferts - FoxFarm Grow Big & Big Bloom
    Strain - Strawberry Cough
    Type - 80/20 Sativa/Indica
    Temperature - 76
    Humidity - 56%
    PH Level 6.8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

:)

2. Is it possible that when you water, those fan leaves are drooped to the point where they are laying on the wet soil? Ive had experiences where that was the case, and before I corrected them , my leaves resembled those quite closely. Just a thought.

3. #3 schmedrickk, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
    xfate, I don't believe so. Whenever I water, the leaves are well above the surface of the dirt. This is a problem from within. Something is sucking the life out of the inside of the leaves. It starts with the lower leaves and works it's way up the plant.

:confused:

4. you say you have tried all kinds of nute solutions to fix the problem? how much exactly of the fox farm's nutrients and others have you used? that age plant, or at least that size, shouldn't need much, if any, nutrients. my hunch says you've got yourself a case of nutrient overdose. to fix, which may not be a bad idea anyways, is to just flush with pH 7 water (3x's the volume of your soil pot) to rinse out any nute and salt buildup. checking the pH wouldn't be a bad idea either...those fox farm nutes can be pretty acidic (particullarly the tiger bloom) so if you're not adjusting them your pH may be too low.

5. Chief,

I believe you may have nailed my problem. I have been testing the soil with a PH meter probe and every time I did the reading came back at 6.8. So I tested the soil runoff today with one of those liquid PH testing kits and the PH level of the runoff was 3.5, it was as red as a stop sign, WTF???

The other day I used an Epsom salt solution and gave the plant a Foliar feeding, it seemed to slow the progress of the leaf problem. So it seemed reasonable that it is a Magnesium deficiency. I then fed the plant the Epsom salt solution into the soil but it didn't work at all like the foliar feeding did. Well if the runoff has a PH of 3.5, then no wonder the Epsom salt didn't work, the plant must be in a total nutrient lockout.

I gave the plant a good flushing as you suggested, the water straight out of my tap is PH 7.0 so I didn't need to use any PH up. The runoff is now at about 5.8 which is still a little low for soil, so I may need to flush it again. I am also going to get some Cal-Mag tomorrow and apply it after I get the PH under control, and will add just enough to give it some desperately needed Calcium and Magnesium.

You were certainly right about the FoxFarm soil and nutes, both combined must have just clobbered my PH level. The plant is not out of the woods yet but this is the only thing that makes any sense. It never even occurred to me to check the runoff as my PH probe kept telling me everything was OK, well the runoff certainly told me a much different story.

What I don't understand is why the big difference in readings? Should I just toss the soil probe and go strictly by the runoff levels instead?

I also saw your post in this thread which is what actually led me to test the runoff

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/386172-magnesium-def-using-cal-mag-first-time.html

Thanks for your help and expertise, this had me completely stumped for almost two weeks. I think my plant will be on the road to recovery now.

:hello:

6. flush the plant for 5 minutes and give just RO or tap water for a few days. youll be fine