leaves becoming brittle in areas

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by fasteddie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. No need to reply further, plants dead

2. Your problem is your soil. It looks to be the MG that has time realease fert balls in it. Which CAN kill/stunt/nute burn your plants and your only adding to the pain with the MG sticks. But your description with out picture is more than likely nute burn.

Or a PH problem as well.

3. I did see that the soil could be the problem in a few threads, actually found one thread in here that had simular syptoms, I will see if I can link that picture till I can upload mine.

Soooo, I hate miricle grow now...these are my babys and its potentally hurting them. I have two new questions.

Is there anyway to help clean the soil I am using as not to disturb the roots and further stunt growth?

What soil is best? like a brand I can find at lowes preferably.

4. There is no "best" soil organic MG is okay and there is a kellog brand that is good as well. Best thing to do now would to transplant them but prolly too late the roots have already grabed on to the fert balls just dont feed them any nutes and make sure your run off ph is perfect.

5. New pictures added! If there is anything I can do to help make my plants healthy please let me know, I am amazed by the amount of smarts I have seen in this forum. I also dont have a ph tester but do have some spa ph test strips I can use when I get home, but it will only read from 6.8 to 8.4 I think :(

6. came home and checked my babies and the yellow is spreading:( I couldnt check the run off yet but I checked my tap waters ph with the spa strips and it read 7.6. Thats bad isnt it?
    Should I buy my plants water? And if so what water is safe to use?

7. I checked the ph of the run off with the crappy pool strips, it is below 6.8 for sure, didnt really change color (but it only ranges from 6.8 to 8.0 anyways).

Dunno if it helps at all or even if its accurate. Also thanks for the reply and help Bob, I appreciate it greatly.

8. Ok so one plant is now getting much worse, so I tried to flush it out, used about 6 or 7 gallons of water and will be leaving it be for a bit. The other one with the same problem I am leaving be since I dont want to kill two plants by doing the wrong thing or waiting too long to help. Im guessing if this doesnt work I should transplant again but do I have to cut the roots to get it out of the bad soil? Im getting kind of bummed, glad I have spares I started in case these die....ugh...

Oh well I will report in later with how they are doing

9. It may be too soon to tell but I am pretty sure the soil flush killed the plant. Its fan leaves have become 75 percent covered in the rusty looking dieing areas. Im curious if all the water activated too many ferts and now the plant is doomed, or if flushing it took all the nutrients out and now it needs calmag, or if the soil ph is shot and its locking out those nutrients. Since no one seems to be answering things here I guess just dont touch it and let it die, dont mean to sound disappointed but I spent most my money buying a new cable to upload my pics so I could get help, put as much info down as possible...but havent got a single reply aside from bob. Im guessing everyone sees so many posts on yellowing leaves no one wants to help answer the same questions over and over (and trust me I have been reading every post and page I can find, the seach button too).

Best I can guess right now is that the plants seems to to need Mn so the one I flushed I will probibly add a very small amount of fert and see if it helps of hurts, then I figure I may need to add some h2o2 to the soil and not water the thing for at least a week(this is plant number 3 in the pictures). The original plant that got me worried (plant 1) I will just leave be as advised by Bob, if it is indeed nutrient burn or uneven fert release hopefully it can ride it out. At least the second plant I pictured seems healthy aside from the one leaf. I just hope it isnt a male lol.

10. ok so my plant has been experiencing the EXACT same problem, and ive been fiddling around with solutions for a couple weeks. im not a growing guru or anything but you have many significant problems with your growing setup.
    first of all, I dont know about that soil...it looks like sand and if its the same consistency as sand and is easily pressed and condensed, the roots may have a hard time receiving the oxygen they need to absorb nutrients. I would try something 100% organic, a thick rich dark soil mixture containing bat guano and worm castings and the trace nutrients that you need. visit your local hydroponic store and they can help you find a great soil
    next, those lights just aren't cutting it, your plants are literally dying for more light. see how thin the main stem is? at 6 weeks of growth with proper lighting your plant should be at least 6 or 8 inches tall, with a much much thicker stem. the plants have thin stems because they are stretching for more light. I hate to say it, but the plants may be beyond repair if you dont strengthen those stems. try adding soil up around the base of the stem to about an inch or half an inch beneath the first leaves. Also, you need a fan blowing on your plants at all times to help strengthen their stems

as far as lights go, Id look into some of the other posts on indoor lights, high pressure sodium bulbs are a rip off if you by them at a hydroponic store, but i saw a 400 watt one at a home improvement store for $20.00, but the expensive part is getting the lamp casing and ballast for the bulb... :eek:/ but yea hps bulbs are a canna plant's best dream

if youre really serious about growing these ladies (at least hopefully theyre ladies) you cant be feeding them any old fertilizer like miracle gro. buying the correct fertilizers can be a very expensive process, but it doesnt have to be. It is possible to find cheap fertilizers, you just need to make sure that during vegetative growth (which you are in right now) you need to be giving the plant vegetative fertilizer, then durign flowering, give it flowering fertilizer. the ratio of NPK is vital to your plants' survival. do some reading on organic fertilizers. growing organically will produce the most gorgeous and delicious buds youve ever tasted. id recommend using fert only every 2 or 3 waterings, and maybe even half strength until you start flowering. these plants are just so sensitive

now for Ph, whew...you need to get a test kit. you can buy a kit that comes with a ph tester and bottle of "ph up" solution and a bottle of "ph down" solution for like 10 dollars. ph fluctuations are likely to be one of the most serious problems for your plant, and most likely what's causing the yellowing and crisping of leaves. tap water tends to have a ph of about 8-9, and canna plants are very picky. you're gonna need to stay between 5.5 and 6.5 or they will very upset with you. also, you should use one gallon of water for each plant (every 2 or 3 days, or as soon as it dries) because you really want to completely flush out the entire plant. you want water to be running out of the bottom for at least a few minutes, but just make sure it drains 100% completely before you set it back up under the lights. sitting water creates root rot, which your plants cannot recover from

ok, your absolute biggest problem is your room temperature. 83-90 degrees?? i really cant believe the plant has lasted this long with those kind of temperatures. your setting yourself up for root rot, pests, stretching, burning, and stunted growth. i was told by an actual canna growing guru that every time your temp gets above 80 degrees, you're setting your plant back two weeks in growth. its very stunting. cannas absolutely require temps between 70-80 degrees, no higher. you need to either keep your AC on 75 at all times, or invest in a few fans (which you need anyway)

you say you saw pinhead bugs crawling around? thats not a good sign. if you see anymore, look at them with a magnifying glass. if theyre little spiders, youre in big trouble. youll need to repot all plants, sterilize the shit out of your grow box, and wash all your plants completely. spider mites are nasty little guys that will make webs over all your leaves and just destroy them. bugs really are a problem, dont cover them with sand, they will survive if they want to. if you see anymore bugs, you really should at least repot all your plants

ok that picture you have of your entire set up:
    those little seedling in the dixie cups on the right and the stretchy ones in the red pots, Im sorry to say but theyre pretty much hopeless. theyre stretching a lot. during the first few weeks (AT LEAST) of a plant's life, if youre using flourescent, each little seedling needs their own bulb about an inch above their top, or they will stretch and not be able to support the weight of the plant. you shouldnt need any reinforcement poles to support the stems so if you want of those babies to live, you have got to get them about 15 times more light. the light you have in there is about enough to grow maybe one or two plants

ok so as i said, i myself have been havign the same problems with the orange spots and dying of the lower leaves. I adjusted my ph (which was at 8.5) to 5.5 and in one day my plant perked up an incredible amount. Also, id buy a magnesium supplement, i tried adding some to my baby and she just ate that shit up, the orange spots are less noticeable now. she's still a little wilty, but i think she's getting better slowly. i hope both of our cannas can make it through this.

id have to say that all but those big two plants are goners. a plant wont produce good bud if its not on a healthy start from day one. im amazed those big ones have made it this far. give them some extra love, please buy new soil and better lamps, and get them some air and proper ph. youll be amazed how much healthier theyll be.
    good luck!

11. Thanks for all the tips! :hello:

I know this setup leaves alot to be desired, but my goal isnt so much to have the biggest buds this time, I just want to keep finishing getting a setup together and have some buds to learn off of. I hope to be able to buy a grow tent and a hps light in a month.

Not all the plants in the cabinet are 6 weeks old, heres a quick guide

green pots ( 6 weeks )
    red pots ( 4 weeks)
    dixis (2 weeks)

they all suffered from light stretching as the were grown on a low lit windowsill for the first 2 weeks of thier lives, didnt get the bulbs till a few weeks ago. Under the lights they actually have been growing really fast and not up but out. I grew them in this order in case some die or are males, i really only want a few good females and currently have too many babys.

I will pick up a fan tonight but as far as room temp, its 78 degrees in my house since I live in the far south so I dont know what to do, but I will get the temp down to about 79-83 degrees with a good fan I bet.

I just bought a cheap ph meter and its reading 7 in the plants.

Bug wise I havent seen any for about 2 weeks and the sand on the surface is just that, a cm of sand covering the soil. An old friend told me it keeps mites and small pests out.

I looked through a bunch of posts and think you right with me needing to add mag, it seems thats what its difficency is.

last thing....do I really want to cut away some roots and transplant into new soil? I thought that may be really hard on the plant in its condition.

List of things to do

get a fan
    get more lights
    lower ph (how im not sure but ill start looking)
    add mag (can anyone recommend something that I can get at home depot, lowes or walmart, i live a long ways away from any grow shops)

12. Well I added some magnesium to the soil and used some lemon juice to bring the ph down, it seems to be around 5.5 to 6 now. Plant havent got much better in the dieng leaves.Those leaves turned brown where they were really yellow and where was a little yellow shows a little more green now. The plants have started growing again though and are getting new growths. I dont think the plant are fixed but I think it addressed some of its issues. I will post more picks in a day to show the damage.

For the room, I have a 400 watt hps lamp coming, ill use it and use a few cfls for side lighting and use the rest for my veg chamber when I make one.

I found out how to make a box fan into a inline for ducts so I will do that to keep the temp under control.

Now it seems I need to get some good soil in the future and figure out my nutrients better and my set up will work quite well for me I am hoping.

13. It is still getting worse

14. OK anyone have any idea what is wrong here, I just cant correctly figure it out. I am thinking transplant or cloning the plant by cutting off the good areas but I have never cloned before and would prefer to keep it simple this first time.

15. Transplanting mite make things worst.... Ball is in your court you CAN transplant but it mite shock it too much as it looks like it is not too healthy in the first place.