Leaves are turning purple

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Dusty Farmer, May 19, 2015.

1. I've read up quite a bit about this but I'm still not sure what to think as this is my 2nd grow fully on my own (and the first one wasn't a good bench mark test run to begin with). But this grow is actually looking good so I'm willing to spend the money and get the right equipment to fix anything this year!

Growing Scenario:

Strain is 3x crazy, it was an indoor plant for 2 years and was moved outdoors to a compost pit. Yes a pit, as in a hole in the ground 5'x5'x9'. The pit was mixed with many things store bought and compost. pH of soil is 7.0 or 6.9 a little high but I couldn't get it perfect. The plants in the pit is growing well and showed NO signs of shock upon transplant and is now a few weeks into flower in May... Idk why it has started to flower and I don't care, it's doing it so im rolling with it.

The problem is the leaves are turning purple! The older fan leaves are the first ones to show the signs, I think it's a phosphor deficiency because the roots get cold at night and inhibit the roots from getting the phosphor they need. The plant is in a black 25 gallon pot and I removed the bottom of the pot and stuck the sucker in the ground/pit. It is receiving straight up tap water because it's in compost/supersoil so you're not supposed to give it nutes i read. And I AM giving it Open Sesame once a week to help it flower.

Any thoughts as to what I can do to fix this? It could be many things right? Like pH, the cold nights below 50F or maybe my nutes?
    Here are some pics of the guys ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431988386.850671.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431988459.736287.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431988507.473174.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 dabbed2death, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
    If your leaves turn purple, thats not necessarily a bad thing. The genetics of the strain and the environment have caused your plant to purp out a bit. It's common in colder locations. Just make sure it doesn't get too cold, don't want the plant to go into shock.

3. Well I'm thinking it's not because of the genetics because the leaves that Turn purple die soon after. They turn purple at the tips and travels up the leaf, then the tips turn white, then brown, and soon the leaf is dead.

"Farm the right way and everybody is happy" -Grandad