Leaves are curling in

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by blackey, Jun 8, 2012.

1. So, i have 2 plants, they are a unknown strain, definitely sativa. at about 19 days their leaves started to curl downwards, than they started to curl up and are twisting up around the stem, they are still green and the plants growing but as it grows the leaves curl. One leaf on one of the plants the underside looks like the bottom layer was eaten maybe, its just sorta grey but theres still a top, i cant post pics till tomorrow, but there might be a usual explanation

They are just planted in 20 ounce party cups with native clay soil, mixed with just peat moss and perlite with a tad bit of neem cake, I am thinking it might be the neem cake with too much nitrogen?

I still have 4 healthy female afghan kush plants, and 2 healthy looking unknown strain plants, not too bad if these 2 curly plants die

2. possibly over OR underwatering, too much nitrogen could be the cause aswell or at least adding to it.

didnt read where they started to curl up.. idk on that one pics would help

3. they started curling at the tip of the leaf first than in the middle. I was thinking its under watering just cuz the soil dose not hold water for shit so i have to water them every 2 days and when i do the soil is so dry because its mainly clay, i planted these before i figured out the soil had a lot of clay, and before i had my coco coir to mix,

4. #4 blackey, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
    Here are some pics, i didnt realize how horrible this camera was when i picked it up but, you can see what im talking about.

These are my three bagseed plants, I am thinking these ones are root bound maybe? the soil reamins moist and isnt really ever dry dry but maybe they are watter logged also.

I uploaded the pics again, hopefully their here The first 5 are of my crippled plants, the 6th pic is my oldest afghan plant, and the last two are family portraits of the afghans :)

Attached Files:

5. #5 Possuum, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
    Hey man (I just can't bring myself to call you "blackey" :eek:). Now that your have the rest of your coir why dontcha just mix up a fresh batch of medium and get 'em out of the 20 oZ'ers and into their next grow cycle containers. Start "fresh", if you will and go from there.

If you stick with the basics like many of the recomended soil/nutrient mixes you'll be golden. Which, before you ask "which one", each and all are going to have at minimum the following 3 ingedients. I'm not experienced with coir so IDK much about how the following will react to all that but it should be pretty much the same if your coir has been stablized prior to mixing. And, hopefully you are using a quality coir product that has been processed properly and, shipped and handled properly. Here's the three mandatory ingredients. Anything beyond that is personal choice. These three are man-DA-torEE

EWC, kelp, alfalfa. Those three, some soiless media, areation material, add water.

As the plants grow you can come back and top dress with a complete organic fertilizer (IF required) and.... yepper you can come back and top dress with EWC, kelp, alfalfa, and irrigate with a compost tea or an AACT.

IF you do this and plant in proper nursery grade containers you'll never have to worry about overwatering. And just for the record, overwatering does not kill or harm a plant. Lack of oxygen is what will kill or harm a plant :)

6. Alrightm thanks for the info :) I would love to get my plants into a new pot right now but...the problem is..i do not have anymore pots, or soil lol just half of my coco coir, but I have a friend whos got 6 bags of topsoil from Butterfields farm I think it is, I looked it up and its mainly all organic ingredients, and shit I'll see if I can mix in my coco coir, have more soil, I really need to get some containers to plant in, I'll have to be creative since i have no cash, I am thinking boxes, line the inside with a garbage bag, stab holes in the bottom for drainage , fill it with dirt. I cant dig into the ground, the soils way to hard.

7. I see that. Yesa there is a enthusiastic following of container gardeners who make do with any random bottle or jar, and make it work nicely - this seems to cancel the need for a massive pile of plastic nursery container pots. I can comment that with odd pot sizes, some plants may get root-bound or leggy, which is when some bonsai pruning could really come in handy to keep your plants from failure.

8. I am also poor and I find that volunteering with organic nursery farms is a great way to learn new things, get some free bulbs and save them from the compost heap, and even get some free dirt or leaf litter once and a while. It's not a way to get exactly what I need, but it keeps me dancin' on my toes.

9. How big should the pots be in general? I got the two wooden pots I have now because they looked to be 2 foot high, which is how deep i would have dug my holes, but I could possibly get maybe 6 or 8 pots that look to be only 1 and a half foot tall and about 1 foot wide, if not I'll have to stick to these boxes I have in my garage, the roots may even go through the bottom and into the native soil.

10. sounds right! and dont forget that bamboo mulch!

11. I still got that bamboo mulch idea in my head, for next year tho, I have a few bags of mulch for this grow :)

So I can just take a big garbage bag, and sorta just straight up use that sort of like those bags people use for no-till grows? they are definitely bigger than 20 gallons, I can for sure get that much in there. Its just..a matter of figuring out how to measure out 15-20 gallons of soil lol. well, I think that 2 cubic feet of soil fills a 3x3 foot hole, and I am getting 6 - 2 cubic feet bags of soil, and all i need is 6 planters! woohoo, yay lol.

12. [quote name='"blackey"']I still got that bamboo mulch idea in my head, for next year tho, I have a few bags of mulch for this grow :)

So I can just take a big garbage bag, and sorta just straight up use that sort of like those bags people use for no-till grows? they are definitely bigger than 20 gallons, I can for sure get that much in there. Its just..a matter of figuring out how to measure out 15-20 gallons of soil lol. well, I think that 2 cubic feet of soil fills a 3x3 foot hole, and I am getting 6 - 2 cubic feet bags of soil, and all i need is 6 planters! woohoo, yay lol.[/quote]

Bamboo mulch. Hmp that's new! I was wondering about it as an aeration amendment myself.

I just cut down 1/8 acre bamboo for composting and other assorted experiments.

As far as pots go, Smart Pots are the gold standard. And I mean Smart Pots not knock off Air Pots or Phat Sacks. Very cheap, $7 gets me 18gal pots from the dreaded grow store. But wow, for no-till or vegetables or anything the results speak for themselves, air to that root zone makes all the difference.

I like your clay soil idea and plan to mess around with it myself.

The Soil & Health library has a lot of good reading on clays role in productive soils.

Also why not dry some of those bamboo leaves and make a tea? Mine are drying as we speak!

13. smart pots eh? Never even heard of them. I absolutely hate this bamboo stuff that grows here, its not real bamboo because bamboo is suppos to be strong and hard, but this is "american Bamboo" or so its called, its very weak, but it grows so fast im afraid to go to my grow this afternoon to see all the american bamboo that has sprung up.

14. Smart pots are really nice. I don't own any because I invested in Geopots, which are almost the same thing, just made a bit thicker with better materials. They are "cloth" mesh pots that airprune the roots and allow more air to get around the roots. Halfway through my first grow I was dealing with overwatering and nute def because I couldn't water, the soil was too wet and wasn't drying. Switched to Geopots, my problem went away and I will never go back to plastic. They are a tad pricey but worth it. I have like 12 now I think. Airpots are awesome as well. The ones that look like they're made of black bubble wrap.

15. From Where the Buffalo Roam - Dr. Gonzo

16. Things are looking better! well, not exactly better but, I got to my other plants in time before they died. I walked up today and 2 of my afghan plants were withering, i think thats the term for it, their leaves were so droopy so I immediately planted the two droopy plants into bigger pots, well their boxes that are 2.5 feet tall and about 1 foot wide, but they will do the trick. One plant just had droopy leaves, and its roots were so so root bound. One of the plants that i planted looks to be a bit dead, all of its leaves are droopy and one or two look dead but there is still green, and I am praying that the bigger pots will allow the roots to spread out, thus fixing the plants problem. I think that with the plants that were curling up, it was a matter of over watering because the last 2 days have been really dry and the soil was still moist when I went there and the leaves on the one plant were perking up. I still have 4 more plants to plant in permanent homes, but so far 4 of them are planted (; All my afghan are home :)

Oh, and i forgot to mention ALL of my plants are female. I guess it really does help to tell them they will be beautiful girls when their seedlings and love them and talk to them, becuase I planted a total of 12, 2 sprouted, didnt grow and died, two of them i dont even remember what the reason was, i think 2 didnt sprout. two almost died on me but came back to life! right now I have all the plants that showed problems in bigger pots, they have 2 cubic feet of soil each, maybe even 2.5 cubic feet in two pots.

The smell of these girls is so sweet and dank and tangy and fruity and earthy theres a pleathera of smells!