Learning

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dannyszu, May 23, 2014.

1. Does anyone else also actually like to learn? I mean...when I was in school and about 12 I thought it's a drag, but whatever it's going to help later in life. Fast forward 11 years and I constantly ask why, I constantly use and look up words I wouldn't have been using 2 years ago, I want to fill up the book of knowledge, that is my head, in any possible way lol. Perhaps I need something to fill the void without school, but I always looked up to smarter folks and being a trades guy, the best way of doing things.

A natural curiosity for the never ending quest for knowledge. A great quality to have. Not taught in schools, but comes on its own accord. I'm sure many of you are like this, all too often I meet people who are content with a stable, virtually mindless, and monotonous job. How? Wtf? I guess its attitude.

Not really philosophical, but meh, you gunna fight about it??

• Like Like x 1
  2. I realized school, although a good tool for getting knowledge, is mainly for teaching you how to learn and Inspiring it

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

3. Fuck school nigga.

I gots street smarts nigga.

Fuck a lurn'n book I book's of rimez nigga.

4. I like to learn about things that interest me.

Fuck grammar too then I suppose.

6. #6 -Martyr, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    Not really, the educational systems around the worlds are pissing contests that act as silent indicators of a nation's potential, and the potential of those bred there. Part of the reason the educational system is so stagnant is because it adheres to a strict curriculum designed to match that of the competition. In school I never felt inspired to learn; I felt forced to stick my nose in a boring book, shit out useless book reports, and regurgitate information that was said in the most boring fashion. It wasn't until I graduated high school and started working a full time job, that I actually cultivated a fascination with the world around and taking to different subjects. This had zero to do with my job, and a lot more to do with being able to buy a lot of weed now that I had a job. I think I've spent maybe $500 on books in the last 7 months or something like that. Everything from programming books to Carl Sagan. The internet did more for me in the learning department in a year, than high school did for me in 4. And it was never boring either.

7. Shits is right my nigga we be bangn them streets lik nigga this is our block who you fuckn with not me nah nigga we hard fucking core and this shit soft. Like limp whiskey dicks.
    Fah real, you feel me?

8. :rolleyes:

9. #9 RomanEmpire420, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    Yes I enjoy learning new things and ideas. Never liked school growing up but when I'm interested in something I love to learn more because there's always room for improvement

10. Yeah you bring up a really good point. I guess what I ment to say was its supposed to inspire learning but that isn't the case with most people

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

Haha, oh how they kill the natural desire of curiosity.

I dunno where you learnt how to learn in school Misterman228, or how they inspired you. If they were to cater towards your strengths and help find them when kids are in doubt, or are left brained, right brained, trades type, or learn from a book best. It's a very one-dimensional style of learning from my experience. And there's no sense in changing that if you actually want a smart population.

12. #12 -Martyr, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    At a very basic level, my appreciation for the crafts and arts was somewhat cultivated in school. There was always time made for working with your hands, and I fell in love with it early on without school imposing it in my everyday life. Even today, art is one of the biggest facets of my life. It'd be exceedingly closed-minded to think that there's absolutely no merit in the modern day educational system. Either way you look at it, every country churns out exceedingly talented, capable, and intelligent individuals every year- although by their own standards, they are impressive none the less. The one thing you can't fabricate in terms of self-education, is the overall educational structure. If you're going to learn on your own, you will have to sacrifice the convenience of a solidified curriculum, in exchange for haunting willpower and perseverance. Generally-speaking though, if you are passionate about something, that is the way to go. There's no point sitting in a class for four years, to learn what you could in one and a half tops if you went at a speed that reflected your curiosity and intensity towards the craft in question.

To the bolded part, of course, any education is better than none. But when the structure of the system is essentially the same, as it were, unchanged over 50 plus some odd years, with only new subjects/knowledge carving the way and not revamps or a complete overhaul, or a different way of looking at things.. it brings into question its underlying purpose. Every country has its own bright, creative, ingenious people - I would argue - because of their own will and desire to learn, not necessarily due to the educational system of that particular country. It is of course important as fuck, as I have noticed people from Germany, Austria, Denmark, Holland, Sweden, are generally bright, able to think for themselves and have a knowingness of life not as present in those from the States or Canada. 

What I never understood too was...why don't they teach you about the natural surroundings in your area? I mean, I was never taught what trees were common in Ontario, or what animals reside here, or how to differentiate between edible and inedible plants...this shouldn't be a 'scouts' thing, its sort of a life thing imo. Wack ass education...

"build your penitentiaries...
    we build your schooools,
    brainwash education...
    to make us the fooools"

-Bobby Marley

14. I enjoy learning about things.  But the endless pursuit of knowledge for egotistical reasons is probably a bad thing.  

I like this taoist quote.

"The Taoist sage does not have the Western intellectual's desperate belief in the liberating power of knowledge. Knowledge, he instinctively knows, is just another form of bondage, just another commodity with which to parade one's superiority. It is just another means to control and to manipulate. As such, it is a form of power that has nothing to do with the bliss that comes when living in harmony with the Tao. Therefore the sage would rather sit in the shade of a beautiful tree, sipping wine in blissful union with his surroundings, than waste time in the hectic pursuit of knowledge that ultimately leads to greater bondage."

While I like the quote and enjoy its perspective, it is also wrong to assume its immediate association with ego/bondage. Knowledge must be, it is partly the nature of our being...I suppose the understanding of where knowledge serves its part is covered merely by the "he instinctively knows" portion of the quote lol

I welcome thee to this forum which I care to frequent:) 

16. I like to learn about shit that interests me.  Like cars, the global elite, drugs, science, space, etc.

However put me in a classroom that talks about religion and ancient history and I'll be falling asleep.

17. People usually don't like learning because they have to learn something as opposed to wanting to learn something.

I like to learn musical equipment, stuff about musicians, and whatever else I find interesting.

18. I like learning about stuff I enjoy like cars and stuff but if I don't enjoy it I drift off

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. High school crushed my spirit for wanting to acquire knowledge.
    Now I'm in college! Nothing's changed.
    I absolutely despise the memorization we call "learning" here in the U.S. I'm pre-med and got a 3.85 freshman year by cramming the day before tests. I didn't learn that shit!
    I've always loved learning about drugs and how they affect the mind though. I'm fascinated with anything to do with the brain. Also metaphysics

20. #20 Kimono, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
    An extract from Leonardo on Painting translated by Martin Kemp and Margaret Walker edited by Martin Kemp:

Preface: Knowledge, Learning, and  Experience

Good men posses a natural desire to know

I know that many will say this is a useless work, and these people will be those of whom  Demetrius said that he took no more account of the wind from their mouths, which caused their words, than of the wind of which issued from their lower regions. These men posses desire for only material wealth and are entirely devoid of the desire for wisdom, which is the sustenance and truly dependable wealth of the mind.

I know well that, not being a man of letters, it will appear to some presumptuous people that they can reasonably belabor me with the allegation that I am a man without learning. Foolish people! Do they not know that I might reply as Marius did to the Roman patricians  by saying that they who adorn themselves with the labors of others do not wish to concede to me my own; they will say that since I do not have literary learning  I can not possibly wish the things that desire to treat, but they do not grasp that my concerns are better handled through experience than bookishness. Though I may not know, like them, how to site from the authors, I will site something that is far more worthy, quoting from experience, mistress of their masters. These very people go about inflated and pompous, clothed and adorned not in their own labors but with those of others. If they disparage me as an inventor, how much more they, who have never invented anything but are trumpeters and reciters of the works of others, are open to criticism. More over those men who are inventors are  interpreters of nature, and when those men are compared to the reciters of the works of others, they should be judged  and appraised in relation to each other in no other way than the object in the mirror may be judged to surpass its reflection, for the former is actually something and the other nothing. People who are little reliant upon nature are dressed in borrowed clothes, without which I would rank them among the herd of the beasts.

Anyone who argues on the basis of authority does not exploit his insight but his memory. Good writing is born of natural understanding and since the cause is praised rather than the effect, you should praise natural understanding without bookish learning rather than bookish learning without understanding.

I thought that was quite an interesting read. What do you guys make of it?