Learning to play the piano?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by briangumble, Aug 11, 2007.

1. I want to learn how to play the piano and I heard learning music theory would be very helpful. But piano classes and music theory classes are at the same time so I can only pick one and I'm not sure which one to take. Which class do you guys think would be better to take?

2. Hey,

Piano Classes is what I'm thinking right now, but Music Theory is important. (To me, anyway.) Have you ever played an instrument before? If this is your first instrument, then there's still a big chance you won't stick with it. Not trying to be negative, but it's true. You can teach yourself music theory, or take it later if you really want to learn it. You'll just be playing twinkle twinkle little star for a while anyway. :p

3. The only advice I can really give you is be very careful not to develop bad technique. I've seen some great piano players fuck up their wrists this way and it all goes back to how you start out. There is plenty of stuff you can learn without a teacher, but I recommend taking one or two lessons just to learn how to sit at the piano and position your hands. It's definitely worth it in the long run.

Good luck man, have fun learning a great instrument. :wave:

4. Music theory is helpful, but not in a practical i-wanna-learn-piano way.It helps you understand how music itself is written, and the basic mechanics of music.

be prepared, its a hard class and its ALOT of work.
    Learning piano will be much easier if you have played other instruments before, but its a good place to start.

bottom line...go for the piano classes.