Learning to grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KureijiIrie, Mar 19, 2018.

1. New to the site and to growing but I’m building my setup now and have a tent and small tools on the way, along with ordering a light, as soon as someone gives me info on what I might need. I have a 2’- 3’ -4’ and want to grow about 4-6 plants and kind of want a light with a remote control, just don’t know what wattage. I see some lights for $110 that’s a 1000w then some that say 450w for $180. So my question is if I can get away with only 1 light what would be the best light for that. Besides tent, light, in-line fan, 2 oscillating fans, sheers, ph tester, ph nutrients, soil, shades(cuz they looked cool), hanging cords is there anything else I’ll need?

2. you didnt specify your method of growing which would help. your tent is 2x3x4 correct? that seems pretty small for that many plants I think. You will get the same amnt of bud for less plants. your area will get out of control probably with that many fighting eachother. I think a 400w metal hallide/hps would fit your area well. 2x3=6x60 watts per sq/f is 360. so you should have good amnt of light. You can buy a cooltube hood and hook your fan to it. will keep it nice and cool. You will probably need a carbon filter too unless you don't care about the smell. you'll also need some ducting for that and the duct clamps ofcourse.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome to GC. :) That space is good for one plant - two at the most and with the height restriction you will have to train it to stay very low. One light is sufficient for that space - you will need a minimum of 250 actual watts - not the equivalent of 250 watts. I assure you that those so-called 1000w lights for $110 are probably only 150watts. I suggest you do a lot of research and have all of your equipment before you plant your first seed. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 El Jefe Negrito, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Hey. As far as lights, it’s really up to you and what you’re looking for. Someone recommended you a hps (high pressure sodium) which is great for producing light, but will also give off the most heat also. LED are still good for lighting (slightly less powerful), however, LED’s produce significantly less heat. CFL’s produce almost no heat but have to be very close to plant and leaves due to lack of light intensity. It’s whatever you like best. I did an LED. Very bright and not much heat. I personally recommend an LED in whatever price range you’re looking in and read the package for recommendations on hanging height above plants for that specific model light.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 El Jefe Negrito, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    And with ph, you need a tester to find the ph of liquids you’re adding, and something to test the soil medium itself (assuming you’re not growing in hydro). Cause you’ll need to know what ph the soil is at first, then the ph of the water you’re adding. So you’re checking for two separate ph levels. For soil and for water. You’ll also need nutrients for the plants different life cycles. Ex veg, bloom, and flower cause they need different amount of different nutrients at different stages. Some equipment to monitor temperature and humidity will come in handy also. Measuring tape when hanging the light for proper distance. Timers for things such as lights could be helpful as well. The least amount of the grow process that depends on you, the more stable it’ll be time after time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks man, do you have any tent recommendations then, trying to get at least 4 plants on an LED setup the Viparspectra 450 is in my cart right now, just waiting on tent to get put up and together before I order the light.

7. Yea I have a tester now do I need 2? And I was wondering if I needed any other equipment besides that stuff I listed.

8. ‍♂️I meant LEDs I completely missed that. But an LED set up for sure

9. That light is only 200 watts - good for one plant. The ideal size for 4 plants would be a 4 x 4 x 6.5 tent. If you use LED in a 4 x 4 you will need 650 actual watts for 4 plants. Besides keeping your plants healthy - light is the most important factor regarding yield. With a 650w light you can easily harvest over a pound in 15 weeks with proper training. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1