learning to blow glass :)

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by moshi1ry, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Hey guys so i keep seeing people throw up there bowls pipes etc that they made. Im usually in the growing section but could use a new hobby and since im in school i could definitely use some fun money for the weekends. I need some advice though on where to start blowing glass. Few questions i have though

What kind of torch do i need whts the best one for the money etc?
    Can i realistically make some money off of this once i get past start up costs?
    How dangerous is this i mean it is molten hot glass.
    Is it worth it to take classes or can i learn on my own the classes seem very expensive.
    Also im not very artistically inclined is this still possible for me?

Thanks in advance cant wait to get into this hobby that will hopefully be profitable!

Btw does saying blowing glass sound kinky at all :p?

2. #2 HeadyHunter, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
    I definitely wouldn't get into glass blowing inorder to make money unless you have a really strong desire to work with boro.

There are technical skills which don't require you to be an artist but the whole point is kind of to create art

3. There are multiple reasons one would blow glass, that reason is up to the blower. I would say most don't do it for the art, which is why scientific prodo pieces are more popular than heady glass. Most do it for the money and I would say to just not comment if you came to argue semantics with OP. He wants to learn to blow glass for money and so be it.

OP, check out some youtube videos. There are plenty of great blowers out there who do tuts on youtube. Check out a guy named "TheNomadcraftsetc". He has some great tuts on there. I'd say watch a bunch of videos and see if it's something you think you're capable of before you just blow money on equipment.

4. after spending about 1k-2k you could get a basic glassblowing setup with glass and It would take a long before you made anything that would make alot of money, like months of practice.

My brother did it in school and it took him about 6-8 months before he started making profits

5. Doing it as a hobby and doing it to make money are two completely different things.

you should take a class or something before you jump right into it. A full setup is going to run you at least a few hundred dollars unless you get a hot head torch.

If you're serious about getting into it you need to do a lot of research. There's a lot more to it than just getting a torch and lighting up.

6. my school actually used to provide a glass blowing class but at the time i thought all stoners were horrible people and weed would kill you BLAH! now man i really wish i would have taken the class i would be able to repair my own stuff and sell new stuff anyway what im tryin to say is that you shouldn't give up becoming a glass blower costs alot of money and takes alot of time but do it man it's a really really handy skill

7. Ya i think im going to start getting into it. Maybe my original post came off the wrong way. I would love to make money doing it but will probably just start it as a hobby. Dont see why i shouldnt make a few bucks along the way. Your telling me that the guys selling bongs for a few grand arnt in it for the $$?

Thanks mr tea for the video going to check that out after class anyone else got anything good i should check out? Anything informative, is there a glasscity site? like grasscity but for blowing glass :)?

Also i keep hearing people throw out different numbers for the cost of a beginner setup im talking about just a torch and kiln once the work is done. I probably can swing 3 or 400 at this hobby for the moment would that be enough to get me started or is it realistically going to be in the 1-2k range?

8. BTW check this out pretty AWESOME! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiO4O7ynC8]Double Rainbow Tribute Glass Pipe - YouTube[/ame]

9. it depends what you want to do.. small stuff like pendants, marbles, sculptures, beads can be done with 3 or 400 bucks. but if you want to make bigger things like mini tubes or something. your gonna need a bigger torch. which will run at least around 1k

its totally possible to start on just a national 3a torch and eventually get a bigger torch once you get better..then you can keep your national torch and use it for welds and getting into tight places.

10. just know your going to spend so much fucking money on blowing glass its one of the most pricy hobby's out there

11. Ya I was looking at the national torches seem to go for a 100 or so will be a good start anyone got a websiye that sells em cheaper.

12. Don't know if this has been said..

but check out your head shops( the ones that actually have knowledge of glass) and ask them if they can help get you in contact of local blowers that they know.

then ask the local blowers for a apprentice job, or classes or something!

13. Will do i live in myrtle so it should be pretty easy to find someone local. I just got in contact with a dude on craigs list :p. Haha

14. chilly dude :)

15. Be careful with craigslist man haha

16. I have had way to much success on craigslist lately guess it only takes one nasty to make the whole batch bad tho :p... Ooo and i think ill be bidding on the nortel redmax torch theres a few on ebay they retail for 750 but i think i can snag one up on ebay for around 3-400 pretty sure i will be able to do alot more with these torches. Anyone have any experience using these?

17. retail for 750? they sell for 500$ MAX brand new

My brother used one every day and still has it, he has a herbert arnold torch now but the redmax could do anything and make large items. But without a kiln you cant make much if any large items