Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Learn From My Lecithin Mistake

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by b1rd2, Jan 18, 2018.

1. I know a lot of people include Lecithin in their edibles, as I normally do, however you need to be cautious if you also use water to filter.

I made the mistake of adding too much Lecithin in the mix the other day (8 TBSP rather than 6 tsp) to six cups of butter. I don't think this normally would have been an issue, however I also use a fair amount of water during the 12 -20 hour simmer process to keep things cleaner, and I've since learned that Lecithin is an emulsifier. As a guy that does not normally bake, I had no idea.

This caused the butter to never harden or separate from the water, even after three days in the fridge. It never got past a thick goo, so 8 Oz of product down the drain. I don't have the skill set to come up with another recipe with 'Canna-Goo' and I was too pissed to want to try- so lesson learned. (Butter tea would have worked, but no thanks)

I've used Lecithin in every other batch with no issues, so it would seem that once you hit too much, then the batch is ruined. I'm not even convinced that Lecithin even helped, so no more for me if I'm going to use water.

"Emulsifiers are molecules with one water-loving (hydrophilic) and one oil-loving (hydrophobic) end. They make it possible for water and oil to become finely dispersed in each other, creating a stable, homogenous, smooth emulsion."

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thanks for the warning bro

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maybe just leaving that stuff out on your computer router for a few days would evaporate a lot of the water.
    That mess still has some potency, and might be useful in baking.

• Like Like x 2
  4. No, you didn't really throw it away did you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sadly I did toss it. I tried to re-heat it and re-cool it, but no go. I had it in the fridge for days to see if that would do anything, but no. The stuff was like a porridge, that I'm sure could have been used for something. I've already frustrated myself in the past trying to experiment with using coconut oil to bake, and this seems worse.

Thankfully I only used $20 Oz scraps, but yeah, what a waste. I'm surprised there's not more talk about this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 BrassNwood, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    The best approach is to leave out the stupid water .
    LMAO damn
    Water and hours long processing is the two most common ways to ruin cannabis edibles.
    That whole water removes the nasty taste is pure BULLSHIT. Does nothing but contaminate the butter or oil your working with. Hours long processing is great if your a true insomniac and haven't slept in a month then hours long cooking is for you.
    Personally I want to be awake and enjoy my edible oil.

Decarb first (240 F for 40 minutes) Changes THCA to THC so your edible works
    5 grams powdered weed-hash-BHO-ABV
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin (optional power booster)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (softens material for better mouth feel) Can omit
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Done
    Makes 30 (0) sized caps-doses with hash, Bud based will be 1/3 to half as strong.
    [​IMG]
    Tripple sized batch.
    [​IMG]
    Toaster oven all my cooking gets done in
    [​IMG]
    Think I'm right at 25,000 hash caps made and consumed.
    Take extreme care as a single drop can overwhelm light users like my wife.
    Once she came down she proceeded to beat on me for sending her on such a wild trip.

No water, No long cooks, Intense trips, Meds made my way.
    Based off BadKats work if you care to dig deeper.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. So sorry for you experiment.. Not just the weed, but time and effort wasted. I would have been thinking Banana bread, where that texture would have been desirable, couple of bananas, flour sugar and eggs. Your texture problem would be desirable with this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That could have taken the place of the water in the batter or at least a portion of it along with the butter. Someone else suggested to let it sit out in a warm area for a few days but since it's butter, that would not have been a good idea. It would have turned rancid pretty quickly. The banana bread or other similar food would have been a great idea. I'm going to have to remember that.

The same thing happens if you try to use lecithin granules in a Green Dragon alcohol tincture as it did with the water in the butter. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Too late now, but I would have tried to put it on low heat and evaporate as much water as you could, then put it in a blender with your coffe to make the ultimate 'bulletproof coffee'.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I hate to say it, but I think it could have been salvaged

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Thanks again for the replies, and yes it was a sad waste. I'm also aware that it could probably have been salvaged, but not by me with my skill-set.

I did think about trying to slow-cook the water out, but due to the cheap quality of the $20 oz product, I just did not think it was worth it.

BrassNwood, thanks for the in-depth reply and the very informative info.

The main reason that I started using water is both to help filter out the Chlorophyll (for a better look), but moreover because it seems to allow you to more easily add a higher product-to-butter ratio. The water allows it to stir and mix more effectively, and the goal is a stronger product. I do this with the lower grade ingredients.

My ratio is (8) oz to (6) cups, either butter or coconut oil. With the butter, it sort of needs something more, otherwise it's like trying to stir thick sludge which is where the water comes in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. If you can stand a slight taste of herb, then there is no need to make butter at all.
    Just decarb as BrassNwood says, then grind to powder, and mix into the oil of any recipe.
    This will be about twice as strong as making butter first.
    See Decarb Myths Debunked (it is part ad)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. I think the thing about butter is that it has a long shelf life in refrigeration same as coconut oil, but the purpose of the emulsifier is the make the fat bonds more bio accessible, some one tell me if I'm wrong! Lol, learning here but understand cooking chemistry. I made butter many years ago with trimming, same process, water and butter but the emulsifier goes in after the water is removed. Made kick ass sugar cookies... With some left over for morning toast !

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zucchini, carrot, nut, ... Any kind of egg sweetbread.. Thanks Sam!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nice post and awesome pics!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Herb all by itself probably has a shelf life of several years.
    Bio-availability is a difficult to define term that might be different from person to person.

Read the article linked to, and it will completely change the way you view herb processing.
    At least it did for me, and I'm a skeptic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1