leafy sativas?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by alexthestudent, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ive only noticed this with two different strains ive grown. but they will get like a shaggy leaf cover over the budding sites, and ill have to trim the leaf away to let the bud get exposed. is this a norm for certain strains or phenoes? this one is more sativa, the other was a kush i crossed. of the kush cross, one seed grew well hybrid kushy. standard hybrid bud compact regular shape.the other one grew thick kush density, but like real leafy, to the point i had to trim it while it was in flower off and on to expose the buds. what would cause that? is it a hereditary trait? im at a loss here. underneath when i expose it is some fairly prime bud, but i learned my lesson during that grow the first time that if i didnt trim back the leafyness, the bud wouldnt develop much, but after it was exposed it would swell like buds do. i noticed both the kushy one i crossed and this have citrusy smell. the kush a very lemon smell, this one thats sativa is more a limey lemon like sprite or something, very sharp. is there anything that can be done to reduce that trait?, or is it basically like my intuition says which is trim as it goes. which is an odd thing you know? i trim up before they hit the flower room as usual, strip most of the leaves and all that, but as these two went on the buds would grow almost regular leaf covering them up almost to shield the buds, which is mildly tedious. though the smell of it is pretty bomb and unique like a sharp, sprite limey smell.

2. why would you need to expose the buds?

3. well sir it seems if they did not get exposed, they did not get light, and it createsd dead spots or less bud/lower potency. i noticed this on the kush cross i made especially that the areas i left completely covered with bush leaf, it created the same type of like yellowy discoloration as if you cut off the light to it. im not talking standard leaf cover though, i mean like it was a very odd trait ive never experienced before. it was not your standard leaf cover, i mean like the bud was literally underneath a complete leaf cover, as it was such an incredibly leafy bud that no light could penetrate through to the growth underneath. ive never seen it before in my life before that plant specifically. the way it grew was like super tight internodal sections, the buds were literally underneath leaves. like you couldnt see the bud unless you lifted up the leafs or trimmed them. normally you get buds with leaf ratios that are pretty standard, but this was literally like if you looked at the plant, you could barely see any of the bud at all, being it was so covered with leafyness light couldnt reach through. the smoke was pretty lemony, i rather enjoyed it too be honest, though some of the buds were so completely hidden underneath leaf they didnt develop and remained like a pale green if youve ever cut off light to a plant altogether and seen that paleness, thats what it was. ive never experienced it outside that kush cross, and this sativa.

4. Do you have any pics of this plant?

5. unfortunately no i killed it off. i found trimming it up to be a hassle and a half. but ive seen pics of afghani looking strains from the olden days that resembled it. the sativa im dealing with thats kind of like that at the moment i could get a pic of but at the moment im kind of strapped for time and will have to wait till tomorrow. though i trimmed up some of the leafs because i realized that mistake from last time. would a nitrogen issue cause that?

6. IMO buds needing to be exposed that is just myth. if you look at a plant parts functions, its the leafs function to absorb light and produce energy throgh photosyntesis. the more leaves you remove, the less energy the plant can create from photosynthesis.
    the flowers function is to reproduce, it has very little chlorophil and is almost entirely a sink in regards to energy production. IMO exposing buds to more light gives no advantage, but can promote faster degredation of what THC is already present in the trichomes. this is in addition to lowering total energy production.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm a fan of light defoliation and know for a fact that it works if done right if not then why are all the buds at the bottom that get no light always airy and weak!!! I like to top and tie down my sativa strains so the cover a large space but not get tall all the buds end up around the same size. I will look for pics of my monster afghan plant and show you its was about 6ft across and almost 5ft tall I was amazed.