Leafy Greens?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by iHappy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. #1 iHappy, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    If im gonna start eatin more salads......what do you guys recommend I use?

Im guessin obviously Spinach....cuz of Popeye n all lol or
    Iceberg
    Romaine

Should I mix or what? Thanks

2. Romaine + Mizuna 

3. Arugala?

4. Well my .02 is to get organic veggies, the pesticides they use on them isn't good for you.

Anyway, baby tomatoes are really good with a salad. Instead of croutons I use organic granola or peanuts, but that's just preference.

Try juicing

5. I have some Kale growing in my back yard that survived -10F temperatures.

6. #6 fruitality, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    kale 
    collard
    spinach
    turnip greens
    broccoli

the most nutrient dense vegetables

7. Kale, Spinach & Broccoli top 3. Surprisingly you can make delicious smoothies with Kale. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #8 iHappy, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    Right on everybody, thanks

Yeah my sis has a juicer I can maybe borrow, and I totally forgot about kale too. She was usin that all the time when I saw her using it.

Plant your own kale, the stuff will just about grow in the arctic.

10. Skip the iceberg! It is mostly just water! Go for the darker colored lettuces! I shred carrots into my salads for extra vitamin A (fights zits and infections). 

And learn to make your own salad dressings!  Start with about a 50/50 mix of mayo and plain yogurt thinned with a tad of milk and start adding stuff! Blue cheese, herbs, chopped capers, finely minced green onions.... whatever you like!  Or for an Italian style dressing try this for extra Omega 3 and more-

[SIZE=13pt]Omega 3 Italian Salad Dressing      [/SIZE]

1/2 cup hemp seed oil                                                    
    1/3 cup cider or red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon of garlic flakes                                   
    1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (or half cannabis)                             
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper   

Mix, shake well before using.  Keep refrigerated.    

Granny    

11. I usually get some organic spring mix stuff with spinach, kale and think arugula in itSent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. [quote name="iHappy" post="19329944" timestamp="1389584154"]Arugala?[/quote]Arugula is my all time favoriteAnd dont listen to the people who say lettuce and such has no nutrition.If you are eating more leaves and less grains you will be healthier. Your body can only use so many vitamins.All green veggies are goodSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. [quote name="ChiefSpaceTreez" post="19336715" timestamp="1389675976"]I usually get some organic spring mix stuff with spinach, kale and think arugula in itSent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Spring mix usually has oak leaves if im not mistakenSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I think they vary, maybe by location?  The spring mix I have does not include oak leaves.

Kale is fucking gross imo but suuper good for you, why nature..why!???

15. i use spinach, kale, broccoli, celerey greens, beet greens, chards are delish....other than the beet greens and chard, i blend/make smoothies out of the otherrr 3, choosing ghe right fruits to help lose that "dirt" taste...no sugar tho.

16. Sweet.....thanks for all the ideas. Didnt expect all this lol

17. This reminded me..you should check out my friends glass..
    Leafygreenglass.com

We make kaleslaw.

19. @yurigadaisukida-  Hon, I think that is "Oak Leaf lettuce",  a rather old variety of lettuce. :laughing: 

http://cals.arizona.edu/fps/sites/cals.arizona.edu.fps/files/cotw/Green_Oak_Lettuce.pdf

And a tip to keep that lovely leaf lettuce from going all black and slimy- Take it out of the plastic bag as soon as you get home, remove the wire and paper tie, wrap it in a couple of damp (not sopping wet) paper towels, then put it back into the plastic bag and in the fridge! 

"Keepability" is the one area that Iceberg wins out over the leaf lettuces. But by using the damp paper towel trick, that pretty red "Ruby" lettuce will stay edible for a lot longer! And you should have a salad every day! :yay:

Granny

20. [quote name="yurigadaisukida" post="19340412" timestamp="1389736062"]Spring mix usually has oak leaves if im not mistakenSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Yeah it does it's that earthbound farms brandSent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app