Leaf Torquing/Curling with a Seedling

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Retaardvark, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Hello, I am currently running a semi-stealthy double-high Rubbermaid grow. I have a 120mm exhaust fan with two passive intakes and an 80mm pc fan blowing on the plants for wind and then onto my CFLs to cool them. I am currently running 24/0. It can get up to low 80s in the grow environment because it is in a closet so it recycles some of the same air. Every few hours though, I'll open it and refresh the air and the grow area gets back down to mid 70s.

I have two seedlings. They both started from bagseed and are in FFOF in party cups with drainage slits at the bottom. They are both around one week old. One appears to not be growing that well(but appears healthier) and has only one well-developed true leaf set. The stem appears very much purple(for what it's worth). One of the true leaves shows a bit of torquing(maybe a 20 degree angle compared to the other leaf). The leaves are a relatively deep shade of green.

My second plant seems to grow better but is less healthy. It is a much lighter shade of green, around the darkest green color for the normal GC layout. It is currently sprouting it's second set of true leaves. It has a bit of yellowing around the middle part(where it's sprouting the new leaves from), and the first set of true leaves is curling up around the edges.

I cannot provide a picture right now, but will try to get one soon.

I flushed the soil before planting the seeds and have only watered them twice since they have been growing.

I don't fear about my ability to diagnose problems when the plant is larger, but I have yet to find something that looks like this in seedlings. Please help :).

2. Because I'm an absolute retard and in a hurry, I cannot figure out how to put images in my original post. So here they are. Sorry for the terrible quality.

First two pictures are of the plant that is slightly torquing. The last two pictures are of the unhealthier, lighter green plant.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  3. looks like they might need some water man..

what type of light are you using and how far away is it?

4. #4 Retaardvark, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
    Really? I thought I overdid it, it being my first grow. I am using 5 30-Watt CFLs at between 4-6 inches.

I should mention that my humidity is very low. I live in Arizona, so it's bone-dry here. I don't have a moisture meter, so I can't tell exact percentages. Is the problem likely to be underwatering?

5. well its hard to tell by the pics.. but it looks dry. does the cup feel pretty heavy when you lift it?

anyhow.. my advice:

water them
    back the lights up a few inches
    give them a 4-6 hour dark period for a few days.. i bet they'll come back nicely for you. If not PM me and remind me to look at them again.

oh.. maybe some sort of dome thing (with a vent) if your humidity is low.

6. Cups are pretty light, should have realized that sooner. I'll water them well and back up the lights a tad. I don't have a timer yet, so I'll just unplug them for a few hours in the heat of the day. Thanks a ton, man :D.

By the way, if you come back to this thread, is it normal for my plants to be so small? I mean, I've seen people who have 5 or more nodes by day 10. Or is it that most of those are clones?

Anyway, thanks again :).

7. yeah they are really small for day 10 and kind of look stunted.

they might just be stressed out for some reason..

you didn't just happen to paint the room or put in new flooring did you? i've had seedlings just stop like that on me due to a grow tent that had some freaky chemicals in the tent material.

anyway.. keep me/us posted. PM me a pic of their progress man.. i'll totally forget to come back to this thread LOL

8. The only chemicals I can think of are from latex paint or assloads of duct tape. I'm not sure what I did wrong exactly :eek:.

9. Although I have taken them out of the light for a few minutes several times to take pictures/adjust the box/improve the grow area.