leaf deficiency??

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by goldenbrown, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hello i have 7 plants 5 days into 12/12. Four are in cocoa and three in bucket bubblers, with two of the cocoa plants my leaves seem to be lightning but still having the dark veins. I did figure maybe nitrogen def but the bottom older leaves are still a deep green and i would of thought they would show first?? Is this normal and nothing to worry about as i know leaves do lighten in flower but this early?? They havn't turned yellow just a lighter shade of green but dark green veins still. Iv also uploaded the normal dark green lower leaves..
    :confused:

2. I have just flushed the two plants then added nutes at half strength to hopefully make adifference but im still not sure

3. What are you feeding, what strength, and how close are the lights to the affected leaves? Are the main affected leaves near the top of the plant?

4. Check out the second link in my sig

5. my ec is around 1.7 using dutch pro bloom nutes a and b + multi total(enzymes) and root regen and wiltguard by canadianxpress...ph is 5.8. Plant seems very healthy and growing well apart from the leaf issues. Thanx for the def charts BYOweed but they all look similar at early stage so its quite hard to tell. But im pretty sure its not nitrogen because all my older leaves are dark green and the light is a good 18 inches away and the leaves closest to the light seem unaffected????

6. From the chart under the leaf def pics it says its mb deficiency for middle leaves which does seem to be where the majority is???? what is mb? is this magnesium and boron def?

7. [quote name='"goldenbrown"']From the chart under the leaf def pics it says its mb deficiency for middle leaves which does seem to be where the majority is???? what is mb? is this magnesium and boron def?[/quote]

If your PH is 5.8 you need to raise the PH to around 6.5

And if you continue to read there is an explanation of Macro nutrients, Micro nutrients, and trace elements

8. 6.5 for cocoa?? Its not soil and the feed chart on dutch pro nutes states 5.8 optimum ph

9. I doubt it's ph personally. I've fed 5.8 and below with no ill effects.

The things is, you've got a little bit of tip burn on your lower leaves, so obviously you've fed a bit too much of something; probably nitrogen. This can have a knock on effect. It wouldn't do any harm to top it up with a touch of cal & mag, but, for me, that's the first and very minor signs of a slight overfeed of nitrogen. Just back off that a bit and see how it goes over the next few days.

10. [quote name='"goldenbrown"']6.5 for cocoa?? Its not soil and the feed chart on dutch pro nutes states 5.8 optimum ph[/quote]

Oh right your in coco coir.

Take a close up picture of one leaf and maybe someone can identify the specific problem

11. ther's 2 already in my post

12. That's a minefield imo and the whole plant tells a better story. With the dark green of the other leaves and the tip burn on some, it's a good indicator it's not just a simple deficiency.

13. Are you thinking roots? As these were started off in bubblebuckets but i got brown slimey roots and transplanted them with netpot into cocoa when they wer small and only 2 week vedge and i then done another 3 week vedge + now 1 week of 12/12. I did cure my root problem with the other bubblers by adding beneficials and they are thriving + the other two transplanted cocoa plants are doing fine so im stumped?????

14. The roots are poking out slightly at bottom of pots and they are pearly white so not a root problem so im guna add some an revive its a cal/mag supp and c how i go

15. Are you using calmag??
    calmag is a must in coco.. 5.8 is perfect btw...

16. Iv just sprayed the leaves with a warm ph'd water with half teaspoon of epsom salts mikxed and i shall add a bit to my tank for next feed. Will this suffice??

17. Epsom dosn't have any cal in it. Just Mag and and sulfur. Be sure to pull lights up high when you spray.

18. Well iv had it on good advice that its magnesium thats required the most right now and thats all iv got at min and im off for a few days to a wedding if thers no improvment il buy som cal/mag il let evry1 know and thanx for replies

19. The damaged leaves will never go green again. Your Ph is great. To me it looks as if you may have let your coco dry out is this possible? Is your new growth green and healthy? If you want to fix it just transplant into some fresh coco that has been wet by your feed mix. Do you use tap water ? If so your leaf tip burn is probably from chlorine in your water. But it is a deficiancy, but it started in your roots , tp into fresh coco and you will be good. And I agree CalMag is a must in coco especially when using R.O. water.

20. highjack thanx for reply ..I have never let my cocoa dry out,only until its spungy but still damp. My roots seem ok as they are coming out the bottom of the pot pearly white. I think the burn is from over fert with ec of 1.7 which was too high. Iv since flushed and added nutes at half strenth and nxt with an ec of 1.2 and will build up slow. I do use tap water and have done for many years with no problems but i do let the water stand for a few days b4 using. Iv sprayed my plants with an epsom salts mix and i will add some to my rez. Anyone know how much to put in2 rez??