LC Soilless Mix #2 + Bongaloid's Guano Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Gliese581g, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

I would like to start my first organic grow shortly. I have a lot of bat guano floating around so I would like to do something that uses that up. I'm still relatively new to growing so I would like to keep things relatively simple.

Until now, I've been using chem nutes in LC's Soilless Mix #2. Here is the recipe:

LC's Soiless Mix #2:
    6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
    2 parts perlite
    2 parts earthworm castings
    Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Now I`ve been told that you can amend the recipe with the following to get a good organic mix:

Bongaloid's Guano Mix.
    Use all these items combined with one gallon of soil mix.
    1/3C hi N Guano (Mexican Bat Guano)
    1/2C hi P Guano (Jamaican or Indonesian Bat Guano)
    1TBS Jersey Greensand
    1TBS Kelp Meal

Does this sound right to you? Do I need to let the soil 'cook' first? Anyone used this recipe before? And most importantly, do I just water the whole cycle once I've added this stuff?

My plan was to germ the seeds and let them grow in the plain soilless mix for the first two weeks. I would then repot to the soilless mix + guano amendment. Thanks.

2. Looks good. I would probably lose the green sand though.

3. Just be aware that those amounts are per gallon. Most of LC's amounts are figured for cubic feet (~7.5 gallons). You know, when a *part* is 3qts?

For a cf it would be like:
    2 1/3cup of the high N
    3 1/2cups of the high P
    1/2cup of the greensand
    1/2cup of the kelp meal

HTH

Wet

4. So this amount should last the entire grow? Does the mix need to cook before use. Thanks.

5. To my knowledge it doesn't have to cook. I got that from reading the organics for beginner thread at ic.

6. Yes, it need to 'cook' and get that bacterial action going and breaking the nutes down for the plants.

Entire grow? Maybe, maybe not. Getting a organic mix dialed in takes a few runs till you see just how much of whatever you need, or if a top dress is needed.

My first couple of times I ran out of N and had to supplement with Earth Juice. Now, I use a bit more N source when I make the mix and do a top dress 4-5 weeks in.

Organics is like making Chili. You start with a basic recipe and then adjust to suit your plants and style. Nothing is really set in stone.

Wet

7. #7 HighTek, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for clearing that up. This is the mix I use and wasn't sure.