Lawsuit charges that Paxil is addictive

Discussion in 'General' started by StonerSmurf, Jun 29, 2002.

1. LOS ANGELES, Aug 27 (Reuters) - A Los Angeles law firm announced on Friday the filing of a lawsuit against GlaxoSmithKline Plc., the maker of the antidepressant Paxil (paroxetine), charging that the drug causes severe withdrawal reactions.

The firm of Baum, Hedlund, Aristei, Guilford and Schiavo said it filed a class action complaint on behalf of 35 people who have allegedly suffered from withdrawal reactions such as dizziness and nausea.

Neither the patients nor physicians expected these withdrawal reactions because, according to the complaint, Britain's Glaxo has deliberately failed to warn of the drug's addictive traits.

Paxil was introduced in the US in 1992 and is approved for treatment of depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder and social anxiety disorder.

The drug has been at the center of legal trouble for Glaxo before. Earlier this summer, a Wyoming jury awarded $6.4 million to the family of a Paxil patient who murdered his wife, daughter and granddaughter and then committed suicide in what the family said was a reaction to the drug. Glaxo said it would appeal the verdict.

2. Where did you get that info from? I was on Paxil, and I tried to get off it. When I did, I had cold sweats, hot flashes, nausea, I was seeing stuff... All sorts of horrible shit.