Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Laws in England

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by davidn420, Jun 2, 2012.

1. In the UK how are the cops with cannabis laws? I have heard (online) that cops just fine you for growing? How true is this? And don't say look it up because people can lie online about it or it can be outdated info so please don't be an ass. But for you people from UK, is that true? Or is that just bs

2. Just look it up bro.

3. [quote name='"Budderball"']Just look it up bro.[/quote]

I did and I found mixed results

4. I think it's something like 4 plants or under its a caution and a fine. But don't count me on that. The UK laws on Cannabis are terrible.

5. Yeah I'm pretty sure we can own a few plants and it's still charged as possession rather than intent to supply, but I'm not too sure on the overall rules over here :L One of my mates had a couple of warnings for possession before it went to fines and things like that though, so I guess in some places over here it's pretty lenient for just carrying small amounts.

6. [quote name='"Durb"']Yeah I'm pretty sure we can own a few plants and it's still charged as possession rather than intent to supply, but I'm not too sure on the overall rules over here :L One of my mates had a couple of warnings for possession before it went to fines and things like that though, so I guess in some places over here it's pretty lenient for just carrying small amounts.[/quote]

Wow lucky here in USA one plant thats not even mature can get you up to 5 years in most states. I think up to 20 in Oklahoma (they have the harshest laws of any state but I'm not too sure about that number but I do know it's much longer)

7. #7 GK420, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    The amount doesn't mean anything as far as I know. Obviously if you're renting out a flat and dedicating the only/master bedroom to a 5 year supply of cannabis plants, they're gonna know what you're up to, but if you just have a closet type grow in your home without traps set up at your door and pitbulls on guard they won't shout dealer just because you have 5 plants instead of 4. They look for stuff like huge contact lists, big scales, weapons, baggies (in bulk) etc.

As far as the punishments for growing, I'm not sure. For possession, these are the punishments (taken from FRANK, a bullshit drug "help" website to indoctrinate teenagers):

The 5 years thing is bullshit, I've never heard of anyone going to prison for 5 years for possession of cannabis. Police aren't too interested in some stupid teenager carrying a spliff in his pocket, they'd rather waste their time (and our money) on busting growers. In a documentary I was watching on unusual cannabis users there was an old lady who was at risk of losing her home if they caught her growing again. She grew for medical reasons, obviously, but it's not like that means anything to them.

8. I'm a criminology student, the current law was revised in February 2012, the new law states that the growing of up to 9 plants is now punished with caution/fine/community order, this is of course based on whether the consumption is based on personal use or not. The law went live on February 28th 2012, among a rethink into sentencing guidelines. In terms of the policing of cannabis, the law is relatively relaxed currently, the drug convention next year will pave the way for a rethink on the policing on cannabis. The current laws are outdated, but the new legislation in February has set the foundations (I hope) for a more lenient sentencing or conviction process.

Just finished a finals essay on drugs policing so information is up to date.

We can but hope.

9. I live in England, it's simple;

get caught with a small amount = caution + possible fine (multiple times, then prison sentence)
    get caught with large amount = dealing, prison sentence + unlimited fine

Growing 1 or 2 plants then caution + fine
    Growing 10+ then dealing and factory and a prison sentence

plus smoking whilst driving can be upto 5 years in prision

10. #10 rolled, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    The laws recently changed. You are now allowed to grow 9 plants and escape a custodial sentence if caught (this is classed as personal use), UNLESS there is clear intent to sell. As GK420 was saying.

The stuff about driving is complete bullshit, there is no definitive on the spot test a policeman can do to prove that you're high. There was talk of a similar device to drink driving (breathaliser) but that hasn't materialised yet.

edit: kushandchips knows his shit i had a .pdf of the document detailing the changes with regards to all drugs and determining of sentences but idk where its gone

11. Not true, that's an incredibly simplistic view on law enforcement, it's far more varied, FAR.

12. Yes of course it is, but that's a pretty good breakdown and pretty basic to show you how strict it actually is.

13. Are you planning on getting caught?

14. yea, please teach me more about how to be a badass. shit happens to everyone sooner or later unless you never leave your house.

15. We had a recent downgrade here in England, my mate heard it on the radio.
    Right, I think you're allowed up to 6 plants (growing) and a 'small amount', which they class at a surprising 50g.

The most you'll get is a fine, absolute worst.

16. [quote name='"Titch"']We had a recent downgrade here in England, my mate heard it on the radio.
    Right, I think you're allowed up to 6 plants (growing) and a 'small amount', which they class at a surprising 50g.

The most you'll get is a fine, absolute worst.[/quote]

You should look into that a bit more there has been no down grade they have simply set out a scale of classification on how to judge each case. Before there was no set limit as to what could be called personal / commerical .. and alot of other little loop holes.. for instance even if you were growing the 6 plants classed as a personal grow other factors such like if you live near a school or play park can aid in bumping you up to more than just a fine

17. #17 davidn420, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
    [quote name='"GK420"']The amount doesn't mean anything as far as I know. Obviously if you're renting out a flat and dedicating the only/master bedroom to a 5 year supply of cannabis plants, they're gonna know what you're up to, but if you just have a closet type grow in your home without traps set up at your door and pitbulls on guard they won't shout dealer just because you have 5 plants instead of 4. They look for stuff like huge contact lists, big scales, weapons, baggies (in bulk) etc.

As far as the punishments for growing, I'm not sure. For possession, these are the punishments (taken from FRANK, a bullshit drug "help" website to indoctrinate teenagers):

The 5 years thing is bullshit, I've never heard of anyone going to prison for 5 years for possession of cannabis. Police aren't too interested in some stupid teenager carrying a spliff in his pocket, they'd rather waste their time (and our money) on busting growers. In a documentary I was watching on unusual cannabis users there was an old lady who was at risk of losing her home if they caught her growing again. She grew for medical reasons, obviously, but it's not like that means anything to them.[/quote]

Are you referring to me or the website with the 5 years is BS you said? And also thanks and that's fucked up they are honestly going to mess with this poor old lady for an innocent medicinal grow? What ever happened to people having morals in this world...

[quote name='"KushAndChips"']I'm a criminology student, the current law was revised in February 2012, the new law states that the growing of up to 9 plants is now punished with caution/fine/community order, this is of course based on whether the consumption is based on personal use or not. The law went live on February 28th 2012, among a rethink into sentencing guidelines. In terms of the policing of cannabis, the law is relatively relaxed currently, the drug convention next year will pave the way for a rethink on the policing on cannabis. The current laws are outdated, but the new legislation in February has set the foundations (I hope) for a more lenient sentencing or conviction process.

Just finished a finals essay on drugs policing so information is up to date.

We can but hope.[/quote]

Thank you :) exactly what I was looking for

[quote name='"420Jay"']Are you planning on getting caught?[/quote]

no I'm not even from England... Is it okay for me to be curious about something? And others who are from there can benefit from these answers and like someone else said... Sorry I forgot to check for your name or quote you.. Everyone can get caught no matter how cautious you are.

18. The website lol, don't worry. And yeah, they don't mind giving the elderly shitty pensions and throwing them into abusive nursing homes, but when it comes to such a "dangerous" drug like cannabis they couldn't be more concerned!

19. I've had a number of possession charges, most I ever got was an £80 fine.
    Most times just had my shit confiscated.

20. KushandChips has it right with the growing of up to 9 plants, and i believe the fine goes up to 125% of a weekly wage if caught.

Although never been charged myself this i how i believe it to be:
    A small time first possession with land you with a caution generally, but multiple charges/ being loudmouthed/unreasonable police can and may land you with a fine.

A repeat offence within a certain time period which i forget (maybe 6 months) means an almost definite fine/community service and depending on the severity possible jailtime.

Any sort of dealing or being caught with multiple baggies (which can be seen as intent to supply) will definitely be a fine and likely jailtime depending on the serverity. Not sure on lengths of jailtime though.

From what i'm aware the 'downgrade'/reclassifying in punishments is due to current lack in police numbers, but there have been limited cases in which the system has been put into effect, and somehow it has been kept fairly under wraps by the media so in terms of what is happening in reality I'm not so sure at the moment.