Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Laws about posession of marijuana on Ontario?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by prorathack, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Can someone please tell me what could possible happen to me if I was arrested with 1 gram - 2 grams MAX of marijuana on me (having no scale and no intend on selling any)... in Ontario, Canada?
    I heard that police won't even give you criminal record if not more than 3.5 grams...
    Can someone please tell me what's the real deal and cite your sources please!

2. Possessing a couple grams in Ontario will most likely result in the cop not doing much. Don't worry about it man.

Seriously, it's really lax up there.

3. i PROMISE YOU ALL THIS INFORMATION IS ON GOOGLE..
    Possession:\t
    Cannabis (ex: marijuana)\t30 grams or less: up to 6 months imprisonment or $1000 fine or both

Trafficking or Possession for purpose of trafficking:
    More than 30 grams: imprisonment up to 5 years less a day\t
    3 kilograms or less: imprisonment up to 5 years less a day
    More than 3 kilograms: up to life imprisonment.

Using Cannabis for Medical Purposes

Marijuana has not been approved as a therapeutic product in Canada or anywhere else in the world. The safety and usefulness of marijuana for medical uses has not been clearly and scientifically established. Canada does however, have a program that allows seriously ill persons residing in Canada to possess marihuana for their own medical use. Under the Marihuana Medical Access Regulations (MMAR), people can be authorized to possess a specific amount of marihuana and can be licensed to grow their own marihuana or designate someone else to grow it for them.The MMAR require a person to have the support of a medical practitioner when applying for an authorization to possess marijuana for medical purposes.

A person may be allowed to possess dried marijuana to alleviate symptoms associated with medical conditions, such as:
    •nausea and vomiting in patients being treated for cancer
    •severe pain, anorexia and weight loss in patients with cancer, AIDS
    •pain and muscle spasms in patients with multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injuries
    •epileptic seizures
    •severe chronic pain

All other possession and production of marijuana by individuals is illegal.

Source: National Anti-Drug Strategy - Drug Laws in Canada

The legal status of marijuana in Canada is under dispute. Superior and appellate courts in Ontario have repeatedly declared Canada's marijuana laws to be of no force and effect. However, historical challenges to marijuana laws at the federal level have not resulted in the deletion of the appropriate articles from the Criminal Code of Canada and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Police and prosecution services in other Canadian jurisdictions still pursue criminal charges for marijuana possession.

The cultivation of cannabis is currently illegal in Canada, with exceptions only for medical usage. However, the use of cannabis by the general public is broadly tolerated, and a vigorous campaign to legalize cannabis is underway nation-wide.

Several polls since 2003 have found that a majority of Canadians agreed with the statement, "The use of marijuana should be legalized", the latest being the 2008 Angus Reid poll. The recent development after the last election is however the opposite, a much more restrictive law with higher minimum penalties for drug crimes and a national anti-drug strategy including prevention and treatment.

4. So I guess it isn't too safe to smoke in public then....
    PROBLEM IS: PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IS SO FREAKIN EXPENSIVE!!
    The closest forest to my house is about 15 minutes by car... and I wouldn't pay 3.5$ just to go and come back by taking the bus (+ another 3,5$ for my brother since he HAVE to come with me -.-).. so thats 7$ in transportation :(
    I'm surrounded by apartment buildings and popos are always wandering around here..

5. Ontario is pretty chill, atleast where i live. If a cop finds stuff on you they will just take it away. Depends on the amount though.

6. Well, I'm in North York (Toronto) to be specific....
    What do you guys know bout there?

7. I lived near Toronto and blazed in a lot of public spots, even if people notice you, no one really cares. and havent had a personal experience with cops but heard that they are quite lax unless you have a scale and quite a bit.

8. Thanks for all the posts...
    Open for more input though..

9. #9 SwiftBlaze, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    g

10. Oh shit you must have experience then :D
    If i get a warning will that be on my record?

How are they going to know I got a warning before (if it wasn't same cop I mean)?

So he got a criminal record or what? What do you exactly mean by warning?

Waiting for reply...

11. They wont do shit bro, quit trippin

Ive been caught with 2gs once and they just threw it on the ground.

You think they want more work? Besides its decriminalized here

If you got like a half o, you'll get in shit.

12. rather be safe than sorry...
    I really want my record to stay clean...
    It's a matter of life or death for me (PUN INTENDED)
    So smoking in the middle of a big soccer field (with apartment buildings around it) is relatively safe?

13. i thought toronto was weeded out like vancouver..i saw something on youtube about yongesterdam on yonges st.

14. Nobody can answer that, but it sounds like a bad idea. Go into a forest or something, a place where nobody can see you.

15. #15 SwiftBlaze, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    g

16. Its not decriminalized in Ontario

17. Bump..
    would like to hear some experiences that happened wid ppl in toronto..

18. North York....is LOADED with good weed. Just take a spliff and smoke it at a bus top, or while walking, no one will fucking care. Just walk around your apartment and smoke one, or go into the neighborhood and walk down the street to smoke it. Or, if ya wanna be extra safe, do it at night, or at the soccer field.

P.S I used to live there. I live in Vaughan now.

19. Coming from someone who lives in Toronto... you can blaze just about anywhere. You wont get a record if you get caught smoking a joint.. As long as you at least try to hide it you wont get in trouble. I've smoked in front of cops, just be respectful and act like its legal. If you get paranoid after you blaze just go back home, chances are the cops wont even come if they ARE called, and noone will probably call.

20. yeah there are so many spots in north york. just look around man and don't be paranoid