Lawn & Property Renovation 2022

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by dropinbiking, Apr 23, 2022.

1. I've come to realize that fertilizer isn't necessary, I've found enough valuable fill to use as dressing to even the lawn and give new seeds a home. Got some perennial rye and some tall fescue, which seems to be mostly what's already growing.

I think once I tear up some of the moldy water logged thatch and crap from the layer of the lawn, that alone will do a lot, some fresh seed, and call it good enough, just maintain it more than I have before.

• Like Like x 2
  2. More digging, more grading, more spreading gravel, edged a garden, moved some logs, was another sore day.

Made myself a goal, for May long weekend, to have the place clean clean clean, dry dry dry, edged, and first mow done. Once drainage and driveway is taken care of, it's just levelling ground and spreading dirt and seed, nothing near as labour intensive as this crap.

This is the only area in the front yard needing repair, where some septic lids were installed last year. Pulled a log out of the garden, and started cutting an edge. De-weeding.

IMG_5430.JPG

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I have revived a number of shitty landscapes and as coincidence has it, just returned from a landscape supply company having everything I need to re-mediate my shitty lawn this year. Recovering or establishing a lawn is a multi-year process, it's almost impossible to do it in one growing season. No worries, its going to be a labor of love. It is not organic, far from it, it will burn the microbiology in the soil but you can remediate that, after you get the lawn established. There are many ways, as your friends have posted on your thread, this is just one very successful way.

In the US, practically every count in the Country has a county extension office. Maybe you have the equivalent in Canada?

Do yourself a favor and get your soil analyzed FIRST before fertilizing, seeding or amending. I

In the US, the County Extension is the agent for soil testing, in coordination with a local University's soil science program. Getting a baseline of your soil nutrients/ organic matter/ CEC and pH will save you time and money and is ALWAYS the starting point for lawn remediation. If y-line ou dont have that service where you live, google the count extension of a US county/ state that is closest to you, if that is even applicable. All the information you need is probably on-line, from hundreds of US County Extension offices.

Soil Savvy has a mail-based soil sampling program, I've used it 3 times. The downside is that it does not analyze organic matter or CEC). Soil Savvy is about $25 per soil sample.

Get on those dicot weeds with 2-4-D now, before it gets hot. Its works best on weeds that are vigorously growing, before it gets too hot or dry.

In this Order, while you are grading:
    1. Soil test/ find your "agriculture agent". You may want to test several different areas if the conditions are vastly different (like your muddy area, under conifers, edge of property on tree line, middle of the proposed "lawn". Each test. its best to include 12-ish samples from 6" deep (root zone of many grasses).
    2. Get the 2-4-d on the broadleaf weeds during the cooler and wetter part of season.
    3. Do the same with the grassy weeds. Your county extension agent, if you have one, could help you select a selective herbicide. So could your professional lawn chemical company.
    4. Start making a soil amendment plan, based on your soil analysis. Ph is almost definitely sub optimal. Get your soil right for the grass type you're going to seed.
    5. IF you choose fescue, seed it in the fall. It will have a better root system for next year's hot summer.
    6. Next very early Spring (February 28th in my area) plan on applying a pre-emergent to your "lawn" if your seeds germinated in the fall. You will want to apply it before your soil's temperature gets to the germination temperature of the weeds in your area.
    7. Next spring 2023, or whenever you get a sea of green grass, get ready to nuke the weeds: First spray it with a broad based herbicide to get the grass wet. While its wet with herbicide, apply weed and feed. Be sure to water that weed and feed in within a day or two. Your weeds will fry!
    8. Next fall in 2023: reseed in fall, pre-emergent in very very early spring of 2024, weed n feed over herbicide in mid spring (depending on your weeds, maybe they are gone) and in the fall, pre-emergent instead of seeding (provided your seeding worked well).
    9. Enjoy your beautiful lawn. Test. the soil again after year two and every 3-5 years afterwards.
    In my case, fucking power weeds, bare spots, low vigor (except the weeds), low success with grass seed, patches of moss. I have an urban yard. I mulch my grass and leaves with the mower and haven't applied fertilizer in 10 years. The last several years, the lawn has gone down hill, to hell, so I am, this day, working my remediation plan. Early in March, I applied an organic fertilizer and microbiology inoculant. The lack of vigor of the fescue and the tenacity of the weeds (more each year, and more hearty) is beyond a reasonable organic remedy, in my case.
    • pH was way too low (4.7): 100 lbs of calcitic lime (because the soil does not need magnesium)
    • Nitrogen way high, does not need a box-store bag of N-P-K fertlizer
    • P (phosphorous) way low: 18 lbs of 0-45-0 per Soil Savvy Report
    • K (potassium) way low: 52 lbs of 0-0-60
    • Used three different herbicides to kill: Crab Ass Grass, wild violets, spurge, henbit etc. Did not use the weed and feed because I don't want/ need the nitrogen.
    Good luck on your project, I can tell you are stoked. Maximize your success: have your soil analyzed and work up a two year plan to eradicate the weeds and replace them with a lawn, if that is your desire. I know it is mine.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks for all the valuable information. Not that my motivation has shifted, but after looking around and digging up a few areas, I've learned to discover most of my issue. Drainage, heavy mulch layers, and yeah lots of weeds taking over areas.

The grass is very seasonal, and seeing as the ground frost is still lifting, it'll green up and thicken up surprisingly well over the next month. Taking out trees behind the back yard will also help dry things up. I'm quite curious how the lawn will react this year with just being able to breathe, and not remain flooded. All of the soil for the lawn I'm just redistributing, and could honestly care less about PH or what the contents are, it has and can grow very healthy grass, I think with some help it will get to a point I'm happy.

It certainly isn't an overnight job, and this is the first year I'm really taking any effort to even up the lawn and dead grass and doing anything for smoothing and drainage. I'm excited to see how things look in a month or so, I know how it looked end of may last year, not bad.

I think I've just shifted focus to overall property landscaping, more than trying to get a golf course status lawn. I'm wondering how well I can get the grass that's there to thicken up. Every year in the thickest spots, the weeds seem to choke out on their own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. The first year I moved in there was no lawn, it was all 4 foot + field grass. So I've already won in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Two trees down in the back yard, one hit the compost and shed, glad to see it gone, brightens it up. Just finishing up getting it piled.

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG IMG_5433.JPG

Lined the inside edge of the drainage ditch with old logs, going to make that a bit of an edge and a feature this year, still leveling out over there, every day progress.

IMG_5434.JPG

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. Fork yeah! Feels like I'm talking to myself here, but keeping track of my progress really helps me. Got three piles of wood moved from the edge of the property, stacked up in the lean-to ready for winter.

Got the entire back yard scarified and some seeding down, this thing really does a number on the moss, was impressed. Few loads into the bush and the rest is in the sandbox to be dealt with.

Even snuck in a quick oil change and fluid check on a friends car, win is a win.

• Like Like x 2
  8. My wife does the lawn
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Does she also do meth? Looks like a pipe banger, but I don't judge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mmmm smokey brush fire. Just need to find a cold alcoholic beverage and I might call it a wrap for the day.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Jesus Christ, been so busy all day didn't really pay attention to what was going on inside. Moms had the day off and guess she's been happy with things and cooked up this epic fucking meal. Roast pork, carrots and potatoes and gravy.

Not every parent is perfect, but for anyone who has a good mom or dad, don't forget to thank them for all the awesome things they do.

Feels nice to finally share something with my mom. She's always wanted the place nicer, but being late 50s, can't expect her to work miracles.

It has been proven, landscaping brings families together hahaha

IMG_5437.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Interesting thread, all the best.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Thanks dood. This thread is more for me to just keep track of my progress. Helps to write goals and achievements down. I know I break the double post rule alot here, but I don't catch any shit, so I assume it's not an issue?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Got one of the gardens cleaned up a bit, lots more to add to it, but was good to get it de-weeded. Still need to think of a good way to border the inside edge.

Everyone loves solar lights, it was a little early mothers day gift, the thing looks pretty cool.

@Cocoa Toni what do you think of the watering can light? lol

20220430_193503.jpg 20220430_212928.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. That's Really Pretty! I Love It. You Did Great. :D

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Removed over 400 pounds of moss and thatch from the backyard over the last week, pushed the bush line back about 20 feet. Removed a sandbox and levelled that area. Pictures to follow tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Cool I Be In Here Too Look When You Post.

Thank You! It Very Nice Of You To Say It! <333333 I Appreciate That! :D:roflmao:

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Every mom deserves love. It's a tough job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Yea It Is... I Love Bein A Mom Tho. Again You Are Very Kind To Say That.

~Toni~

• Friendly Friendly x 1