Law Finally Caught Up With Me

Discussion in 'General' started by Ganga Lova, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Well blades, I was arrested yesterday.

Was pulled over on the side of the road rolling some joints when a cop rolls by going to opposite direction we were faced. They got to the end of the block and pulled a u turn, kind of the point we really started freaking out. At the time I was with 3 other friends, I was in the passenger seat. This is the point I really fucked up because I was only about 3 blocks from my house, and even if I wasn't, I should've got out and started running. 

But of course I didn't, and we started driving the other direction to the nearest gas station. The police followed and luckily it was night so we were dumping our shit out the windows. We got to the gas station and the cops ran up to our windows. one of them shined her light on my lap and there was some residue (my dumbass fault). We were told to exit the vehicle and we all got out while they searched the vehicle. 

Turns out we missed a joint. One single fucking joint. It was found in the backseat, and they asked whose it was and nobody spoke up. We were all arrested then and taken to the station and booked. 

At this point, I was sure I was gonna walk. It wasn't my car and it wasn't found in the seat i was in. 

Welp, turns out each of us got the same charge: posession of cannabis. My court date is in 2 weeks. 

So here's my my question is this: Do I have a chance at winning this in court? And even if I do win, how much will I have to pay just for appearing in court? I work 40 hours a week and still don't have money to pay for this kind of bullshit. 

It is important to note this happened in Illinois, dupage county. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. By the way, I have no priors if that helps.

3. Take it as a blessing in disguise. I got busted two months before I turned 18, and honestly being on diversion and going through the "system" prepared me to NEVER get caught again. Skimmed the next ~4 years pushing my luck on a daily basis and never getting caught. Now I live in Colorado and never have a single worry in the world.  :smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 stickey_fingerz, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    the only person that should have been charged was the driver/owner of the car..   it is not ur responsibility as a passenger to know what everyone is doing illegally.. but as driver/owner it is your responsibility to know nothing illegal is in your car

"Simply being in the car where the drugs are found is not sufficient"
    if everyone keeps their clams shut, itd be tough to prove anyone possessed outside of the owner of the vehicle
    http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/drug_crimes/driver_possession.htm

• Like Like x 3
  5. How did you manage to do that? What habits did you change to not get caught again? I always thought I was fairly careful, but last night the one thing that really fucked us all over was the fact that a party was going on down the street, cops were inevitably going to roll up. That stupidity was on us, but hindsight is 20/20 unfortunately.  

6. You all must scream im a danger because I had a cop walk in front of my car once while in drive during a traffic stop before taking my license to show me a blown headlight.

7. Ill-noise is the worst, I don't see them prosecuting for less than 2Gs. They probably hope you don't show up to court so they can really get you for something.

8. Thank you for that, yes that is what I figured. My hope is that the cops charged us all to scare each of us, but wont show up to any of our court dates besides the driver because hes the only one they got a real case against. 

The one thing that worries me is the little bit of reside found on my lap, but that was brushed off when I exited the car, but still after they saw it. 

9. #9 stickey_fingerz, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014

unless they took your pants as evidence, they dont have nothing on you.  i would still talk to a lawyer, just because they know how to word things, and speak to not incriminate you..  also make sure your friends understand the way the law works too.. because if someone freaks out and spills the beans it could be bad for everyone

10. The worst part is, we were literally 3 blocks away from cook county. And yes, I really don't understand why they bothered, it was literally less than a gram in the joint. 

11. my other 2 friends that werent driving have experience with this (lol), and I know they will deny to the death. Those are my close friends that I trust. The driver on the other hand, just an acquaintance of mine, was kind of freaking out and might crack. But that should be expected anyway because the driver knows if anything it goes to him. 

Oh, one important think I'd like to know, is it possible for each of us to be convicted of the charge? or is it only going to stick to one person?

12. It will only stick to one person, the driver as stated above. As far as what to do to not get caught start with not pulling over to roll joints, do that at your place or a friend's, if it comes down to it you roll while the driver continues to drive. Everytime a cop sees a random car parked on the side of the street they can and will stop, especially when you sketch out and try to leave when they see you.

Sent from my C5215 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Yes very true it was dumb. 

But if it is true the charge is only going to stick to one person, then I am very much more relaxed. There should be absolutely no reason for it to go to me. Not in my seat not in my car. 

Now I'd just like to know, how much am I going to end up paying in court fees if I don't get convicted? Like I said, money is my main concern here, because despite how much I work, money is something I don't have.

14. As long as you learned you did good.

Im not a lawyer so talk to one but personally id go plead not guilty and they arnt going to take you to trial the prosecutor is going to look at it and realize there is no case against you. It would be a waste of their time and resources.

15. How old are you? I know in New York up to 21 you can pull the "youthful offender" which means that since it's your first time being arrested and since your young the judge could decide if he or she wants to lower the charge on you. Also a lot of my friends who got possession charges(their first and second time) were able to get community service and right an essay to the court so maybe you could try to get that too or something. But this was when they were 16-18 years old. Good luck mon hope everything works out!

16. They definitely can charge all of you with possession if no one mans up and takes the blame.
    Me and my friends always knew whoever's weed it was was taking the blame. If one of you pussies took responsibility they probably would have let you all off. Good luck, better get a lawyer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. All you guys saying it will stick to the driver and what not....fuck that if it was anybody's bud besides the driver fess the fuck up. Be a man cause you had it not the driver..fucken pussies. Way to throw someone even an acquaintance under the bus

• Like Like x 1
  18. I agree that if its your bud man up , if it wasnt you wont get convicted no matter what these people say. Plead not guilty and then shut your mouth aka plea the 5th.

19. O_O u barely work 2 days in 7 days..how do u expect to income a decent paycheck..? lol..i work over 100 hours a week and i probably don't make as much as you do..:S probably lucky in some ways..oh well  :bongin:

20. OH MY GOD LIKE WERE YOU THAT HIGH? how can someone be THAT high?
    HOW CAN YOU FORGET THAT JOINT? god i wish i could get high like that..