Law Finally Caught Up With Me

Discussion in 'General' started by Ganga Lova, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Well blades, I was arrested yesterday.

Was pulled over on the side of the road rolling some joints when a cop rolls by going to opposite direction we were faced. They got to the end of the block and pulled a u turn, kind of the point we really started freaking out. At the time I was with 3 other friends, I was in the passenger seat. This is the point I really fucked up because I was only about 3 blocks from my house, and even if I wasn't, I should've got out and started running. 

But of course I didn't, and we started driving the other direction to the nearest gas station. The police followed and luckily it was night so we were dumping our shit out the windows. We got to the gas station and the cops ran up to our windows. one of them shined her light on my lap and there was some residue (my dumbass fault). We were told to exit the vehicle and we all got out while they searched the vehicle. 

Turns out we missed a joint. One single fucking joint. It was found in the backseat, and they asked whose it was and nobody spoke up. We were all arrested then and taken to the station and booked. 

At this point, I was sure I was gonna walk. It wasn't my car and it wasn't found in the seat i was in. 

Welp, turns out each of us got the same charge: posession of cannabis. My court date is in 2 weeks. 

So here's my my question is this: Do I have a chance at winning this in court? And even if I do win, how much will I have to pay just for appearing in court? I work 40 hours a week and still don't have money to pay for this kind of bullshit. 

It is important to note this happened in Illinois, dupage county. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Is this your first drug related offense?

Most likely will only have to serve probation..community service..definitely fines..

I wouldn't stress to much..but if you decide to plead not guilty and our found guilty you will get a stricter sentence than pleading guilty..

Consult your public defender assigned to your case before making any decision..and be prepared..don't just trust the system to be fair..

3. I would definitely argue it, no reason to search you or something, why they followed you etc.. You'll probably have to pay court fees maybe $50? Not your weed, cant charge you... I'd agree that you'll prob pay a bunch of $ and some lame probation shit at most. nothing to serious

4. #4 Smoka-Cola, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    You'll definitely get off the charge if you get a decent lawyer. Still going to cost some money, though..

Or, if one of you cops to it, everyone else's charges should get dropped. They only charged all of you cause nobody stood up and took responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. This is why theres no such thing as being too paranoid imo.

6. This is why you don't drive around with 3 other people and roll up joints whilst driving.. nothing is more suspicious to cops then a bunch of kids/teenagers bunched in a car, music blasting, shit like that. There's been numerous times I'm hittin the bowl while driving and I wave at a cop driving by simply because I have shades on and my seat belt is on. He had to have SOME reason to pull you over. So what was it? If you were going the speed limit and you were wearing your seat belts, then if he asks to search your vehicle say Can I ask why? And respectfully decline. It's not hard. Learn your rights.

7. the only way youd get out of it is by somebody taking responsibility. since you were all too pussy to take the charge alone they legally can place the charge on all of you.

basically its gonna stick, but it probably isnt a very big charge. look at your state laws on the norml website

8. Cant help you im from the uk, ive been caught with a joint a few times thought its always just been chucked away. America sorta sucks on that front.

9. if it were me I would get a lawyer. Sure it cost money you may not have but having no record of drug use will pay off in the long run. We all make mistakes. Look at the money it costs to beat this as the price for doing something foolish.

10. 4 friends: 1 agrees to claim the joint. The other 3 agree to split his fine.