Lava rocks over perlite

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Celbrise808, Nov 16, 2018.

1. I am going to be transplanting and i want to add more aeration to my potting soil that already has perlite in it but it doesn't seem to be enough. i have a TON of lava rocks laying around since we live in Hawaii it's cheap as hell.

I am wondering is this okay to supplement over perlite? they are pretty big so im not going to be adding too much maybe 5% anyone have experience or know if this is okay if not i can always just buy perlite

2. If the chunks are small enough they should work well, but if they are too large they could cause parts of the roots to dry out and become damaged even when the soil in between is still damp

• Like Like x 1
  3. thanks i think they might be too big so probably just going to buy perlite not that much

• Like Like x 1
  4. You can crush the lava rock to make it smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  5. true but honestly im lazy to do that lol. my dad uses it as well for his hydroponics his grow bed is pretty massive think he removes some of the rock and replaces it with new ones like once a year. idk though i mean they are not that big the same size as those ceramic balls. we do have a lot of vermiculite as well but i believe i don't want that because i read it retains moisture and nutrients.

i have some time before i have to transplant just finding ways to save me more money on my current grow.

6. If you are always trying to find a short cut around the proper grow procedures, your plant and the finished product will suffer. I know your a new grower, but you ask a lot of questions. You ask more questions in one day than I have ever posted in my entire time here at gc. Most of which can be answered by searching. But hey, it's all good. You want to use something to save money yet are too lazy to hammer some stone. It doesn't work that way. Cuz if that your train of thought, your either wasting money or wasting time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. i worded that lazy part wrong i meant was im lazy to do it right this instant not lazy to do it in general as i do have plenty of time to get around to it.

as for asking so many questions, trust i do research it's not like im just asking questions for no particular reason it's just the questions i ask are because i can't really find any good general answers too. like with the lava rocks. many use it in hydroponics but i haven't seen anyone say they use it inside of their soil for actual aeration purposes. they say you can but dont really have experience.

plus im new to growing so yes i have a lot of unsure questions i want to ask experienced growers and all excited,etc.. it's not like im asking for no reason as i do a ton of research for the issues i face and also ask on here for 2nd opinions as well for reassuring. i know it's just trial and error as well but no shame in asking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nope. No shame in asking. I type "lava rock" in the search. Most on the first page are adding to soil and a few hydro.
    Search Results for Query: Lava rock | Grasscity Forums - The #1 Marijuana Community Online

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1