Late harvest= hermie?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JTB, Jul 31, 2009.

1. I've noticed the following on one of my plants, one that somehow is ready despite the rest of the garden being a couple weeks away (different strains perhaps?- not sure cuz the seeds got mixed up): Looking at the plant I see that the tricomes are about ready and the hairs turning red. Then, I came back to the room a few days later (since I'm the bankroll and the grower and its in someone else's house) and noticed what appeared to be a couple male pedals coming out of the female flower!! Never have I seen this before. I was under the impression that if a plant starts to grow a male flower, it will be near the stem or something- that it would not grow on or in the middle of a fully developed female flower. Is that true? Also, if it is a male flower, could the growth be due to stress allowing it to go too far? Confused.

2. Yeah male pods can grow right aloung side the female pistils. Sounds like if it's not bad genetics your plant was stressed at some point. The plant will produce male parts in a last effort to pollinate itself, to produce seeds and reproduce. I've never heard of a plant stressed like that because it was allowed to grow past peak harvest point. I really doubt you over-flowered though. Most beginners have a tendency to pull plants early. When you think it's done, give it another week! So you said you were checking trichs, what color? Do you know if it's indica or sativa? :smoking:

3. your best bet is to pick them off daily until harvest. and if you do end up pollinating the girlie atleast the seeds will be feminized! just have to make sure your plant does not receive any light disturbances or high stress as both will cause male parts to start showing up next to lady parts

4. Well I've been growing pure indicas I.e. amsterdam indica, hindu kush. The triacomes are milky with some amberish. I may have cut it early actually because as I've mentioned, the other bigger sisters are not ready. This plant was way smaller than the others because I didn't transplant until it was very root bound. It was a calculated decision tho becuz it was growing weaker than the rest and I was short on space. So one quick question, would a stresssed plant slow down? I mean will the plant harvest later because conditions were wrong therefore prolonging the maturity?

5. I can see the transplant affecting growth, maybe, for a few days. Your plant should recover quickly if done right. But then again if it was rootbound it would take some time for the roots to start growing outwards for new growth. You made the right decision with the transplant. If the plant was badly rootbound that would have basically halted any growth. Wait till trich's are mostly amber for the best indica type high.:smoking: