Last run,current run and next runs. Plus questions.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Angerbizcutt480, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Last run, 20221218_080029.jpg 20221212_072702.jpg 20221212_072643.jpg

Current run,
    20230101_100341.jpg 20230101_100325.jpg
    Next few runs,
    20230101_100538.jpg 20230101_100526.jpg 20230101_100544.jpg

Need some help with mother care and would like info on fabric pots and the effect they have as well and water/Oxygen needs for mothers,veg plants and flowering plants.

2. Well what questions do you have specifically? I could write all day on those topics

• Like Like x 1

3. ok I have 4 ,6 month old mothers of bruce banner #3. keep them about 5 ft tall in 5 gal fabric pots. The plants are insatiable and the 5. gal pot has become so thick with roots that watering is difficult, I must water daily. how do i slow down my mother plant growth,while maintaining optimal health,how do i deal with the pot as it's a solid mass of roots.Are these results from fabric pots favorable? is it the fabric pot causing the apparent issues in root zone. If this mass is mostly root how do i preserve and increase health. Same with all my plants from veg for 4 months,to flower the same things happen but the plants always appear healthy. I apologize for this, Im not writer lol thank you for responding

4. If you need more pics lmk .

5. watering daily is normal and a chore, many install auto watering methods, like me,
    but went back to hand watering, as I need to inspect them too

I tried fabric pots too during the craze 2 years back, I found the very center of the fabric pots not getting any water and the plant suffering for it, pour more water then??? ..tried that it just leaks out the sides.
    one minor advantage is they self trim the roots, but if you are feeding correctly
    then you don't get very long roots seeking food, so I returned to those tomatoe plastic bags I've been using for years, they hold the water better as a plus they to air trim the roots, and a lot cheaper and last longer

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  6. yes,I have noticed my mothers 5gal fabric pots are sloop densely packed it's very slow watering and when inspecting previous runs root balls I have seen such thick roots sloop many as well,must I really up pot to 7 or 10 gal ??? hmmm maybe bottom feeding could eliminate the dry spot ?

7. at first glance all the roots and thick mass seemed healthy but as I broke it open the dirt was like powder and almost gone barren,devoid of any sustanance,this excessive root mass cannot be optimal,not bad by any means but I can get more from these girls,I just don't know how in a manageable way. I run a perpetual grow cycle,small like 30+ plants.I can't afford or maintain 7 or 10 gal pots. I'm looking for a alternative I guess

• Like Like x 1
  8. 20230101_134047.jpg 20230101_140102.jpg 20230101_140629.jpg
    These are my mothers n some vegging plants are visible for comparison. All the plants have been freshly trimed and lollipopped.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'd suggest keeping smaller mothers. Take the clones you need and a few extra. When you are sure they are rooted kill the mother and use one of the extra clones as your new mother. Keep that same thing going and you won't need such a large space for mothers. Your clone may be smaller and need an extra week or two using this method. I've read about this method here on GC. I do not run mothers as I usually never run things twice. But, I do clone when I grow plants to make seeds from.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I agree with you about the hassle of mother maintenance but I pop all mothers from seed and only clone from seed. I run a perpetual grow and when I did not use mothers and cloned from other clones I absolutely noticed a lower root rate,lower vigorousness,less branching and a slow drift that I persecuted as neutral. Perhaps I could just keep mothers shorter amounts of time but in a year it won't be my beloved Bruce Banner #3. I can only think of ways to maintain the mothers better or longer but I will consider your idea it has clear advantages for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maybe there is a way to clone every few months,to slow drift. Perhaps I should clone mothers 1xor2x then flower mothers and pop fresh seed. This way mothers don't live as long live as long as you recommend TimJ. hmmmm decisions ....

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm not as familiar as some folks here with genetic drift when cloning clones. But, the genetics of the mother and a clone of a clone of a clone should be identical. I can understand some drift within pheno types. I have cloned and made seed from a Blue Dream I've had since the 90's and when my seed starts to lose germination rates. I plant a new mother. Clone her and make feminized seed from her. I have been doing this for many years and the only drift I see is within the pheno type. Maybe, I've just been very lucky.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nope you nailed right on the head, We both just typed up the same solution at the same time lol great minds right...lolol
    I agree while the drift I've seen was small I def noticed it. I curious as to why it would drift though,you bring up a excellent point if I am cloning within a pheno/cultivar the genetics are identical ?? why the changes then?? very good points bro,periodic genetic refreshing seems necessary just like you said. hmmmm it seem very possible

• Like Like x 1
  14. Small changes within your environment can favor one genetic expression over another. This is the only way I could explain variation in a clone of a clone. The genetic information is in the mother/clone for different pheno types. If one pheno type doesn't like being stressed it could express itself as another pheno type. This is my limited understanding of plant genetics. I've seen similar expressions from Tabasco pepper seeds I grew last year. The plants looked differently and one produced all red peppers the other only orange. Both had equal capsaicin production.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I see what you mean,the environment itself is creating feedback....a unspecified amount of expression is a response to environment like you said. That alone stressed or not is enough to cause drift,genetics are a brilliant thing but the question remains right through here as any where the age old dicotamy of nature v nurture,what are we born with and what is shaped by our enviroment. Good call brotatochip fr. idk if you would agree but it appears the awnser is it's a bit of both lolol good awnser I'm very impressed TimJ,we don't sound like stoners stall more like philosophers lol good shizzx

• Like Like x 1
  16. Btw, Possuum has a wealth of knowledge and I consider him a mentor of sorts. He likely forgot more than I know, so I'd suggest soaking up what he has to offer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. You can turn a clone into a new mother. Take your cuts you need, make one the new mom, should be 2 or 3 months before you need cuts again.

• Like Like x 2
  18. yes he seems very knowledgeable. I'm glad y'all commented,I followed you both. I laughed when I saw ancient member under his name lol I'll def learn what I can what does "Growth of knowledge " mean under your name?

• Like Like x 1
  19. yessir I'm starting to lean that way,after talking it out I believe cloning a mother from seed 2 or 3 times then refreshing with a new seed mother to clone from every 6 to 9 months may be the best way to combine the best of both methods what do u think ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. To me. It means our knowledge doesn't stop growing. Everyone has something to teach us.

• Agree Agree x 1