last question before growbox is complete

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by erythnuul, Mar 28, 2011.

1. #1 erythnuul, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
    Hey microgrowers, currently have a 2'x2'x2.5' stealth box in a closet for 2 auto-flowers in the works with only a few ventilation/odor issues standing in my way before my setup is complete. I have done a lot of reading and tried to get these questions answered on my own, however due to many conflicting view points and inconsistent information I was hoping someone could just give me a direct answer to my question. Got a 3inch passive intake hole in the bottom corner, and had 6 26w cfls. Due to temperature issues (was at 86F-92F) 2 of the bulbs had to be taken out (currently steady at 80F), though right now it isn't a huge issue. Currently I have one of these Thermaltake XB pro fans and one of these Silverstone FM121 fans both as exhaust. I feel a slight pull on my passive intake but its minimal if at all existant. I was thinking about getting one of those suncourt 4" or 6" inline fans from home depot to replace the thermaltake but I have read many mixed reviews about it. Since it is a microgrow (10ft^3) and stealth is very key I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a large inline fan that will be noisy, but I don't want to risk anything with smell or have to just wind up spending more money in the end by buying several things to upgrade the less proficient ones I bought while trying to save money.

tl;dr : If anyone could give me some recommendations on a good performing, quiet, and relatively inexpensive fan that would be able to pull enough air through a diy carbon filter I would be very appreciative. Whether it be in-line or PC fan, as long as it works well for my needs and possibly allow me to put those other 2 cfls back in it would be great.

Thank you, and look for my journal as soon as these issues get resolved!

2. i have a 4'x4'x5' box with a 600w hps vented by a 530c.f.m. can fan on a speed controller and it's in my closet and if i tune the controller right you can't hear any noise and it keeps my box at 75f.
    since your box is like 1/4 the size of mine i think a 4in can fan around 150-200cfm would do the trick and a speed controller would make it stealthy and cool. remember to find the decibel rating on it(the lower the better). also a couple 6in clip on fans wouldn't hurt. remember to try to put your ventilation fan outside your room preferably pulling, ballast outside of box, and get some circulating fans if temps are an issue. i hope this was helpful.

3. #3 erythnuul, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
    I was hoping that I wouldn't have to drop that much money, since the least expensive can fan I can find seems to be around $150+shipping, but if it's unavoidable and I wont be able to get by with pc fans then looks like there isn't much I can do. My only issue with fans of this nature is that they are really detrimental to my stealth element, unless the unit can be inside my box and just the top of the vent be coming out. Either way thanks for the info man.

4. my 6in was 87$ off ebay but that was a while ago. the way i went with was outside because it just made my box too hot with all the electronics in it. once i put my ballast, canfan, humidifier/dehumidifier the temps came to 75. you could put it on the inside but then it adds like 6-9 degrees, at least in my box it did. be creative, spark a doobie, and think out the problem. that's my words of wisdom.