Last night got pulled over after picking up my 3 buddies, cop said we were driving there was a smell

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Wriv9, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Last night i got pulled over for apparently driving slow and off road, the cop believed that there was a smell of marijuana and said it was probable cause to search the vehicle, he searched the vehicle and found one of my buddies tree, a blunt we were just about to smoke and my unfilled( but dirty) bowl and 2 one hitters , and Put it all in his evidence bag and now we all got a ticket for possession of marijuana and court because nobody claimed it. My buddy now says he will claim the weed in court, but will my pipes fuck me over? Also is my fafsa in risk?

2. Short answer two both questions is that it is certainly possible. Plus, until it is done do not bank on your friend claiming possession of the flower. You would be well served to get a lawyer who could possibly either have the charges dismissed or altered in order to protect your financial aid. I found this in a quick google search:

Is it true that drug convictions might affect my ability to get federal student aid?
    Yes; your eligibility might be suspended if the offense occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, or work-study). When you complete the FAFSA form, you will be asked whether you had a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid. If the answer is yes, you will be provided a worksheet to help you determine whether your conviction affects your eligibility for federal student aid.

If your eligibility for federal student aid has been suspended due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility early by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an approved drug rehabilitation program. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid office immediately so you can get any aid you’re eligible for.

If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA form, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.

• Agree Agree x 1

3. Its a bit dated, but worth watching.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Retired law enforcement here, when he said he “smelled weed” that not probable cause. In my state anyway. He would have to ask for consent to search. If you have him consent, and was cooperative, and your friend claims to flower, your pipe will be possession of drug paraphernalia. Misdemeanor in my state. And in my experience, if you can get a court appointed attorney, the officer most likely would agree to amending the charge down to reckless driving or careless driving? Hope this helps, and good luck friend. (Feel free to message me if I can be of any help).

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Don't ever drive around with cannabis or cannabis paraphernalia in the car, provided you're living in a place where it's illegal. I would venture to guess driving while you're stoned isn't legal either, even in places where cannabis might be legal otherwise. I use a black magnet box that I put all my cannabis in, I attach it to the bottom of my car. I never, ever dive around with it in the car with me. If a magnet box isn't a option for you, then a soft compromise would be air sealed, vaccumed food saver bags. You'll still have to drive around with it in your car, but, there should be zero smell. If a cop does happen to say he/she "smells something" then they're probably lying.

6. So did you learn your lesson or is this going to happen again tomorrow night?

J

7. Sounds like he got you fair and square. Smell is probable cause here.