Large fan leaves on seedlings

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by versicolor, Jun 16, 2021.

1. I have a handful of new strains I'm growing from seed. This is my first real go at growing from seed. I have only cut clones for the last 4 years. Got 6 grown from seed right now that are in veg. About 5 weeks from when I planted them. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to clip off the really big fan leaves? I topped all six and I see that the big fan leaves cover multiple nodes preventing the light from hitting them. I snipped off the leaves on a couple of the plants already but got to thinking maybe it's best to leave it alone until the plants get a bit bigger. Thought I would ask here and see what you all do. Pic included of a couple of the plants just for reference to what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the larger fan leaves there.
    image000000_02.jpg

2. Top the plant up to you .
    If not leave it alone . And once you flip to your dark cycle it will spread out .

• Like Like x 2
  3. No, I'd leave those alone for now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Think of your plant as being solar powered and those leaves as solar panels. Clip them off and reduce its ability to collect energy for growth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. yep like the others said leave them alone ....mac,

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for the advice. I will leave the rest of em.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Those bottom solar panels are at the most important stage of their lives.
    Do not cut them off.

I inadvertently performed a related experiment with autos.
    I gave them too much light, which burned off those seedling fan leaves.
    The result was stunted, low yielding plants.

Cutting is never necessary, but if done, wait til plants are big enough to handle the stress.

• Like Like x 1