Laptop wont boot up?

Discussion in 'General' started by DiAmOnD RaStA, Sep 22, 2008.

1. So, the other day i ran a virus scan before i had to go to work, had some shit on there, but thought i had put it in the "virus chest" pretty much quarantine. Turned the laptop off and went to work, when i got home like 9 hours later, started up the laptop, then after the Windows XP loading page, it went to a black screen saying something failed....

Did a virus fuck up my laptop? its 3 days later and still get the same shit. If it is, how would i go about reformatting it, would that remove the viruses? What if i dont have any of the discs that came wid the laptop???

I feel as though im fucked, can anyone help?? links or anything?

2. Does your hard drive light blink?

Could be a run of the mill hard drive failure.

3. Ive had something like that happen to me.

The first time, my hard drive literally broke. It wouldnt spin anymore.
    '
    The second time, it just stopped working for a couple days, i took it in for a diagnosis, nothing was wrong. Started working again after that.

Take it to the local computer store/best buy and get them to run a diagnostic.

4. Just went to go turn it on to see if the light was blinking... and now it just turns on, nothing on the screen, but the laptop is powered... and no that light is not blinking.

How did i fuck up my hard drive? Good links to new ones if this is the case?

5. Yeah thats what happened to me, i would get power, but nothing past that.

How long have you had the laptop? could have been dust, a virus, or just it wearing out or breaking randomly.

Another time it just started working again, so who knows whats goin on.

6. Personally ive had it about 3-4 months, but i got it from my buddy who had it for less then a year...

7. So an external hard drive should get it going again? Is there any chance if it was a virus of it going to the EHD?

Will it pretty much still be like reformatting?

8. No because all of your startup info, programs, operating system, etc etc are on your hard drive.

9. Have you tried safe-mode? You should be able to get into "system restore', and return it back to a "last known good" state;) It will not affect the data, it can effect the programs you installed after that date. Just reinstall over top and you should be back in business.

A stop error is caused by software issues, low-level drivers and such. If you had the dump I could tell you if it was in hardware or software via the memory region.

-BaC

10. His laptop dosnt even boot anymore

11. Yeah it doesnt even work now.

But the other day i was getting that same screen over and over, tried safe mode, last mode used... everything.

12. #13 BaCaRdi_, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
    My fault, this is grass city right? Sorry a bit too much Rhino Wreck Hash;) Duh...

I would remove the hdd, and fire it up..if you don't get BIOS there is a much bigger issue.

-BaC
    Take it easy..was just a brain fart....Beside I spend most of my times on the lower-level in Linux world..sorry nowin32 here :p

13. So i tried booting it up to see if it magically works... and it turns on again, and the hard drive light flashes but i get this

PXE E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable
    PXE MOF Exiting intel boot agent.

then it sends me to the screen where i can choose how i want to try and start up. If i choose "Safe Mode" it just scrolls some text talking about drivers... then restarts. If i choose anything else it just does the PXE thing again.

Bacardi, how do i find the hdd? and if BIOS does show up, what do i do with that? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

14. Maybe your hard drive got out of whack, and some how disconnected. Take it out then put it back in. Start it up and let us know what happens. I get that all the time at the geek squad for some reason. Otherwise, it sounds like a bad hdd. Try that and we can go from there.

15. Take your battery out and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Sometimes static gets stuck between the connections and shit cant get through. All this does is clear all the connections in your laptop.
    All I can really help you with.

16. I did a bit of googling, and the PXE errors refer to the laptop trying to boot from a network.

Enter BIOS and look for any options such as 'boot from LAN' or 'boot from network'. Also try checking the 'boot order' and ensure that the hard drive is before any lan cards.

Don't have the time to read more right now, but if the above doesn't help then there are plenty of results on google regarding the error message and solutions.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=PXE+E61&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

17. Yeah i googles the error also, find what a BIOS is and everything.

I tried changing the start up line... switched it back after nothing worked, took the batter out and put it back in ((didnt hold power button though)) I will try what you guys said and if not i guess ill look around on google some more.

So heh, if i take out my hard drive and put it back in, should i worry about any "DONTS" ? like sitting it on my lap or touching something weird?

18. If you take it out, don't touch the middle metal disk right in the middle of the hard drive. Handle it by the sides.

19. Touching it will not harm anything, pressing on it will. There is a reason a HDD cover is made of Metal.

What I would do is remove the HDD, the PXE is normal, it can be disabled if it bothers you that much. Pressing ESC should always cancel the retries, getting you out of there faster.

There is a delicate way trying to force your HDD to reset. A hard-drive if you listen to it, will spin-up, during this time you will hear a pitch increase (Doppler Affect). At the top spin rate, just about when the pitch equals out, a clicking sound will occur. Please don't confuse this with a read or write from the CPU, this in just a startup of power, not the whole time it's powered on.

This is you HDD trying to reset it self, enter a "reset state", if it continues this sound, or stops for a while and starts again, a slight, but firm tap on the middle of the side of the hdd, while it is powered up. Yes I know this sounds nuts, but in a pinch it works enough to save data at times. Matter of fact now after doing this for 14 years, they have a mark labeled Wrap-Mark on some drives!..lol

Your Drive is dead / dying, you will need a replacement, drive life is about 20,000 hours, give or take. Since your drive is damage you might as well try to get some stuff back for the new drives arrival<--hint hint..

*PXE pronounced (PIX-E) is used to boot with out a disk, the disk is your memory, this allows companies the ability to clone their PCs if a major issue occurs. You boot of a boot ROM image..Enough about that there a tons of other uses, if anyones wants me to elaborate let me know.

Was that winded enough?..

Man this Purple Erkle I just got is amazing! Also Blue Dream / Dragon are good:)