Laptop Graphics Question

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by xBrent, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Alright, so I was just curious. If you buy a laptop with a integrated gpu, can you buy a dedicated gpu card for a laptop and install it or do you have to buy an entire laptop with a dedicated card to have one at all?

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm no expert on the MECHANICAL side of laptops, but I'm pretty sure that the motherboard actually won't allow it. It physically will not have the space for a GPU, as they tend to build them on the cheap to accommodate only what they need.

But perhaps it might accommodate it - really, I'd just go for a Dell with a NVIDIA card, they do the whole Optimus thing too, so the GPU is only in use for graphics intensive applications, and the integrated is used for every other situation, saving battery.

3. If it didn't come with a dedicated gpu or if there wasn't an option for one then most likely it isn't built to fit one. Even if there was space for it you probably wouldn't be able to just buy one and throw it in, the manufacturer would probably have them made to fit their product only. And it would help us help you if you gave us more information about the laptop. Like who makes it and what model it is maybe?

4. Yeah basically what overheated said. If a laptop is capable, it is going to be model specific and manufacturer produced.