Lanky plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dirtmerchant, Jun 12, 2009.

1. My plants (3) are mega lanky. they are all around 3-5" in height, no leafs except cotyldons (?). They have been in potting soil for 6 days now, they keep going up instead of out. The stems are really thin, I'm starting to get worried they will topple if they keep growing up. they have no branches, or much resemblance to MJ plants, other then two leafs on the top of each plant.

Lights I'm using 2 75w Flo's, 3000 on th elight spectrum. Not perfect but the best I can get. What could be cuasing this? Poor lighting? Over/under watering? lack of o2? (they are in a closed cabinet, I open it when I am home)

PLease help! I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

2. The light is to far away. Fluros need to be an inch to 2 inches away to be most effective. Get a fan going on them to help strengthen up the stems. If they start leaning you might want to stake em down.

3. Hm, thats what I thought it was. I didn't notice it until I moved the light back. Hopefully this didn't mess em up too much.

thanks for the help! + rep for you.

4. Nope as soon as you get the lights closer you'll start noticing your plants start bushing out. You can also bury some of the stem in soil to help out with the stretching and give them more support.

Good luck with the grow bro. :smoking:

5. Those two are the biggest reasons plants stretch,the third is when it's a sativa strain which would stretch like crazy once a 12/12 starts.

Bury it some,drop the CFL to 1 inch and keep a fan whipping it around 24/7 with the light too.

Stake it lightly so it moves with the wind but allows it to get stronger,the stem will beef up in no time.

6. Lowered the lights and put a fan on em. Noticed new leaf growth when I checked em this morning :hello: buried em a bit more too so they aren't bending. Things are going smooth again.

7. Awesome glad to hear it. :smoke:

8. Let there be light !!